So, I'm a little behind in getting this posted, but better late than never, right? Anyway, we went to my parents house for Labor Day weekend and were really looking forward to a lot of fun, relaxing, swimming, eating, and playing with cousins. The weekend didn't quite turn out as we had planned. We got in Friday night, and in the middle of the night, I noticed Grant wasn't breathing very well. It wasn't any better by Saturday morning, and in fact, it was actually worse. So, I refilled an inhaler prescription I had for me (that I NEVER use or even need, but because I had Asthma when I was younger, when I went for my yearly check-up, the doctor wanted to call in a prescription for an inhaler just in case I ever needed it) and we tried that, but it didn't seem to help at all. Anyway, to make a long story short, Steven ended up taking him into the Urgent Care. We had friends from Lafayette who were down in my parent's neck of the woods to go to the temple and we were watching their 4 kids. So I stayed home with the kids and Steven took Grant in. By this point, he was really not breathing well and feeling quite awful!
![]() |
| Dad and Grant in the Urgent Care |
After our friends were done at the temple, Steven called and said that I should come over because Grant wasn't being very cooperative. The poor guy had been given an Epi shot, a Steroid shot, some nasty medicine (which he promptly threw up) and a nebulizer breathing treatment. He needed more breathing treatments, but wasn't too happy about that. When I got there, it was just in time for the second treatment. He told me that he didn't want to breath that, "...because it tastes like throwing up!"
I got him to calm down and do the treatment after which the doctor came back in to check him. He said there wasn't any improvement yet, and that they'd try one more treatment, but if it didn't work, they'd have to hospitalize him. By this point he was pretty worn out. Even though all the medication he was getting were steroids (and tend to make kids jittery) he zonked out before it was time for the next treatment.Since he was asleep we were able to get the tube in his mouth, which proved to be much more effective. Luckily, his breathing improved and his oxygen levels improved so they were able to send us back to Nana and Grampy's with some prescriptions and we avoided the hospital.
After we got home I made an appointment for Grant to see our Pediatrician. After talking to him (and the Urgent Care doctor who though that this Asthma attack was caused by a reaction he had to my parents and my sisters dogs. We know from previous allergy testing that he does have a mild allergy to dogs, but he's been around them before without having this reaction) our Pediatrician thinks that maybe (since he was still having some wheezing and some tightness in his chest 4 days later, after being on 2 steroid medications and being removed from the dogs) that maybe it wasn't so much due to the dog, but that he just has Asthma that we might have to treat with a preventative daily treatment. We need to get back into the allergist to have some more testing done, then hopefully we'll know more. All I know, is that I sure as heck hope we don't have to go through this again!! For a mom, it's pretty darn scary!!
.jpg)


5 comments:
It was terrible. Prior to this I've had zero experiance with asthma attacks and seeing Grant go through this was SCAREY!
Oh no! I hope you get everything figured out soon. Poor guy!
Glad that Grant was okay! We had to do daily treatments with Isaac for about a year and it was...about as much fun as you can imagine. Hope you guys get this figured out quickly!
Yikes! I hope everything works out and that you don't have to go through anything like that again.
Wow! Super scary! Luckily you were able to avoid the hospital though. I hope everything goes well with the doctors and that you and Steven got caught up on some sleep!
Post a Comment