Monday, December 16, 2013

Sledding!!

Between Friday night and Saturday morning we got anywhere from 6-8 inches of snow. The kids were so thrilled, and we were happy that our freezing temperatures went away, so we could actually enjoy the snow! (one day last week when the kids went to the bus stop it was -1, feels like temperature was -12. Much too cold for my liking!)
 The kids spent a good part of the morning playing in all the snow. Here's Landon striking a 'Thinker' pose on what was going to be their snowmans base.
 And here's Addie toppling off of the mound of snow. Ella had a good time, but wanted to be very helpful with the snowman, however, since she's only 3, she wasn't very helpful...
Later that afternoon we decided to go sledding. The boys started up the hill before we were ready and stepped into a little ravine that was buried in the snow. So, before we even started they each had a soaked bootful of freezing ice water. I hadn't planned on doing much more than observing, from the warm car, with my book, because I don't have snow pants and Landon has outgrown his snow boots, but my new ones fit him perfectly (first time in forever I finally have snow boots because I got them on clearance for $5 last year, and I don't hardly ever get to wear them!)! But after the boys ended up with a soaked foot, I told Steven to go on up the hill with the girls while I found a solution. Luckily, the back of the van was full of stuff for Goodwill. Also luckily, in that pile of Goodwill stuff was two pair of girls tights, which I made into a double layer sock. I took an old tshirt and dried out the boot to the best of my ability and Grant got an extra layer of baby fleece pants that I turned into a foot/leg warmer. Because it was Grant's Birthday, and because Grant was crying because his foot was so cold, and because Landon is such an awesome brother, Landon pulled Grant up most of the hill.
Once we got up to the top, they had a blast. And luckily, my MacGyver skills at finding something to keep their feet warm worked like a charm. We didn't hear any complaining out of either of them...until it was time to leave.
Ella enjoyed going down with Dad and insisted on being pulled up afterwards. She also was usually 'dead' by the time she got to the top.

Grant was SO fun to watch. At one point he flipped off his saucer, rolled down the hill a bit, then landed back on his saucer! And he giggled the whole way!


This picture of the kids at the bottom cracks me up. The boys had a hard time making to the bottom of the hill still on their sleds.
Two hours or more later, we finally packed up and headed home. I didn't get any of my book read, and went down the hill a few times myself. We had a great time! We plan on making many more trips to the sledding hill before the snow melts away.
See that colorful pink and white stripped thing between Grant and Landon's boots? That's the pair of baby fleece pants that I stuck Grants foot into as a foot/leg warmer. I couldn't get the butt part of the pants to fit in the boot, so it just hung out like that and it didn't seem to bother him at all. (also, notice behind Addies feet my tennis shoes. My feet were freezing by the end, as were my legs because my yoga pants aren't too warm...)

1 comment:

Searls Stuff said...

Your pictures remind me of some of our home videos taken while we lived in Germany. The kids loved the snow. I sure didn't!