Monday, February 14, 2011

LOVE

It's kind of funny that we have a holiday all about love. I know some people hate it. Just a hallmark holiday. I LOVE it. Then again, I love any reason to celebrate. A reason to eat chocolate? Yes, please! A reason for my husband to bring me flowers (not that he should need a reason)? Sure! A reason to make a fun dinner for our family to eat on our 'fancy' dishes with a holiday table cloth and cloth napkins? Why not?!! We had heart shaped pizza (thank you Papa Murphy's) and a s'more pizza. They kids LOVED it. Not fancy food, but it was a fancy dinner because we had our table cloth and flowers on the table. Anyway, I thought on this holiday all about love (which ironically a lot of people hate) I'd list some of the things in my life that I love right now!

1- My husband (of course). Exactly eight years and one week ago today we were married! I know, I'm lame for not writing an entire post dedicated to him on our anniversary, but lets be honest, I was tired. So I didn't. But honestly, I couldn't find someone better for me than Steven. He brings out the best in me and has so many great qualities that override my shortcomings. He always makes me laugh, is such a great dad, and, dare I say it, an even better husband. I really do feel like he is always looking out for me. He's always trying to find ways to make my life easier. It's funny to think back to when we first got married. I thought I was just so madly in love with him. Now, eight years and four kids later, I realize that I didn't have a clue what love was. I didn't have a clue what sacrifice was. I am SO very thankful to have Steven as MY companion for eternity. Can't think of anyone else in the world that would suit me better. My mom told me at Christmas that she thinks Steven and I work well together. She also told me (and I may have mentioned this) that, while she thinks I'm great, she thinks I got the better end of the deal. Basically, she thinks Steven's better than me. And, I wasn't at all offended, because I whole heartedly agree! And by the way, I think my mom thinks I'm pretty swell (I love that word, and no one uses it anymore) so it's quite the compliment to Steven in my opinion!

2- My kids. Wow, I love them. Sure they drive me crazy. And sure, sometimes I swear they sit around and think of ways to try my patience and make my life difficult, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I know that there is no way I could become the person Heavenly Father wants me to be if I weren't a mom. There are lessons I can only learn from being a mom. And boy, oh boy, it's HARD! To love these people so much, and half the time they act like they don't even like you. To spend some much energy trying to teach them things that will, in the long run, make them happy people, only to endure HOURS of tantrums. To work so hard on helping them become well rounded people, only to have the want the SAME thing for each meal and play the SAME game and fight you on it if you try to convince them otherwise. The stretch marks, the weight gain, the lack of sleep, the scattered brain, the spit-up and booger stained shirts, dealing with poop more than any human should ever have to, are ALL worth it. My kids bring me more joy than I ever thought possible. I really love what I do. I'm not sure why, because when looking at the things I do from a practical stand point it doesn't seem enjoyable, but I really do love it. And my goal is to work really hard at not complaining as much, and letting them see how much joy I get from being their mom!

3- Food. I love food, too much actually. I made Scottish shortbread this weekend (thanks a lot Amanda) and I couldn't keep myself from it. All that buttery goodness. It's so terrible for you (an entire pound of butter in the recipe!) but oh so yummy!

4- The gospel. I am so immensely grateful for the gospel in my life. To know that my family is mine forever. To know that when life gets hard or when we mess up we have the Savior to help us through. To know that I can pray and my Heavenly Father not only hears my prayers, but cares enough about me to answer my prayers. It's amazing and I don't know how anyone survives without it!

5- Friends. Yesterday I was sitting in Relief Society and I felt so emotional. I had to keep telling myself, 'it's okay, don't cry' because as we discussed our lesson (on sacrifice) I felt so overwhelmed by the support I feel from these women who are all going through life, and it's ups and downs, just like me. I love that when I'm with them, I don't feel alone. They all have the same ultimate goal as I do. It's amazing what strength that brings, and what love I feel for them, even though I don't know most of them super well.

6- I love that Ella is asleep right now, at 10:42 p.m. and not screaming her head off like she has been doing lately. She is the closest to a colicky baby that we've had. Every night at 7:30, pretty much on the dot, Ella starts to get fussy. Some nights she just fusses and squirms and insists on being held and walked with or bounced. Then some nights, she refuses to be consoled at all! Just screams and cries and then settles to a fuss until 11:00. Tonight she fussed some, but I was so thankful that she wasn't screaming and fell asleep pretty easily.

7- I love that I get to help some in Landon's class at school. I was making cup cakes last night until 10:30 for his class party today, then I went in to help with the party today. I had to take Addie, Grant and Ella with me, but they had such a blast so it wasn't a big deal. I love that Landon gets so excited for me to be there and for his friends to see me. I also love that I had 3 or 4 little kindergartners tell me, while pointing at Grant, that 'he looks like Landon H.'. (there's another Landon in his class, so my Landon is Landon H.) I thought it was so funny that they could see a resemblance, because I don't think they look much alike.

Okay, my brain is tired, my legs are restless, and this post is very wordy, so I'm off to bed. Hope everyone had a lovely LOVE day!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Sarah, I love you so much. You are just as great as Steven. I think you are a great pair. Love you all!

Katy Wilson said...

yeah for Love...