Monday, July 16, 2012

Driving home (Martin's Cove and Nauvoo)

By the end of our trip, we were tired! The kids adjusted to the different time zone pretty well, but they were still exhausted from all the fun, late nights, and busy days!
We decided on the way home to stop at Martin's Cove in Wyoming. This is where the Willy Martin handcart company was rescued, and is a landmark on the Oregon Trail. We were a little bummed that we got there on Sunday, and they don't do quite as much on Sunday's as they do the other day's of the week. We were able to pull some handcarts though (which the kids absolutely LOVED!).


Our kids did really great in the car, yet again. I've heard lots of stories about how when you're traveling with kids you need to stop constantly because someone has to go to the bathroom. Well, in our case. Steven and Grant were the only ones who couldn't wait until our scheduled gas stops. This was a common site on our trip. Boys! I think they just like watering the grass (and the grass in Wyoming needed it!).
Sweet Ella loved looking at book, the day before we left she had a run in with a drive way and a tricycle, so she had bad road rash on her little nose, but it's healed up super fast!

Like I said in the previous post, Steven did pretty much all the driving. I took a turn on our second day coming home. This is how Steven deals with the kids while I'm driving. He put his head IN the pillow case to block out the noise (which there wasn't really very much of). I about peed my pants laughing when I noticed! It totally reminded me of Mr. Bean, when he gets his head stuck in the turkey (are my kids the only ones quirky enough to watch Mr. Bean so much that we know all the episodes?). I'm pretty sure he put the pillow on his head just to see if I would notice and to see my reaction).

Grant was happy with some headphones and an iPod.
I tried to be really prepared, food wise, for our trip because Landon HATES fast food (GASP! I know! A kid who cries when you try to take him to McDonald's!) But, on the way home, I wasn't quite as prepared for meals, so we did Subway (too much) any by the last day, we were ready for something different. So, Domino's pizza it was. And it was actually not as bad to eat in the car as I was expecting.
We stopped by the Smith's in Nauvoo on our way home. Like I said, we were pretty tired!
Addie made paper flowers and fruit kabobs with Jennifer while we were there.

And then we finally made it home! Now we're working on getting the kids sleeping schedules back on the Eastern Time Zone. Oh yeah, and two things I forgot to mention in the previous posts:

1- Every time I have a baby, Steven gets me a gift of some sort. Well, when I had Ella, we decided that my baby gift would be a picture of Christ to hang over our piano. Well, Ella is 20 months old, and we FINALLY found a picture of Christ that we both liked. We were a bit nervous bringing it back in the car with us, but somehow it survived the road trip.
And I forgot to include a picture of the pillow cases I made for the kids. Ta-da!
 And I think that about sums up our trip!

1 comment:

steve-o-torpedo said...

What a great trip that was! We should do it again sometime soon...NOT! I need at least 2 years to recover.