Saturday, February 11, 2012

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Two memories:
1- When I was little, I was quite prissy. I LOVED to play in my mom's make-up. I loved wearing her high heels. I remember, when I was about 11, I wasn't feeling well one morning. I stayed home from school but started feeling a bit better as the day went on. My mom had to run some errands and while she was gone, I put on one of my mom's sunday dresses (my favorite of her dresses) and her high heels. I strutted around like I was the queen of England! Oh, I felt fancy in that navy blue floral dress that didn't even come close to fitting my prepubescent eleven year old body! But it was the high heels that was the icing on the cake. I walked all over the place to hear the heels click and clack on the floor.
2- A couple years before this instance, I remember laying in my bed, awake, even though it was really early. My parents were up early getting ready to go to the temple. I could hear my parents talking and walking around in the kitchen, my mom in her heels. I remember thinking 'I can't wait until I can walk around in fancy shoes that make such great noise!' There is just something about heels clacking around (and keyboards typing) that I LOVE! (the funny thing though, is I'm embarrassingly NOT girly now. I'm getting there, but I was way more prissy and girly when I was little!!!)

Well, the reason I'm relating these memories (and admitting to the world, what a dweeby 11 year old I was) is because my daughter, Addie, is just like me!! For the past couple days she keeps getting my boots out and wearing them. Today she wore them for a good 3 hours before I told her it was probably time to put them away. I think she kept finding excuses to walk from the wood floor in the living room to the linoleum floor in the kitchen, just to hear the difference in the clicks and clacks. And then earlier today, while I was writing an e-mail, she said to me 'Mom, you know what my favorite party of the computer is?' I guessed PBSkids and starfall.com. Nope. It's the keyboard when I'm typing fast. She LOVES the sound. She's funny, quite often she'll hear something, then say, with quite a bit of passion, how much she LOVES that sound.
She's quirky, but she comes by it naturally and I wouldn't have it any other way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) I have always loved the sound of high heels too. ~Tally

Katy Wilson said...

I one time was wearing a pair of my moms high heels...but they were broekn and had a nail sticking out of the heel...and i ripped a scratch in the linolium of our kitchem and i remembered for YEARS leater looking at that tear and feeling bad about it...cause she had told me not to wear them...but i too loved that sound!

Katy Wilson said...

and 2 1/2 days by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but who's excited???