Thursday, March 29, 2012

the best thing about being a mom...


Yesterday I wasn't feeling well. I have some sort of miserable head cold. The kids are on spring break this week, which has been nice in some ways, and hard in other ways. Like how on Monday it took me over 3 hours to do my grocery shopping with all four kids and a head cold. Then I had to muster the energy to put all the massive amounts of food it takes to feed this family away. That's not much fun. It's hard and quite a pain. But it's nice when we don't have to rush to get anyone off to school. And when we can all go to Malones to play on the gymnastic equipment and I don't have to feel bad that Landon and Addie are missing out because they're in school.
 
Anyway, like I was saying, yesterday I was really just wanting to lay in bed. Read a book, watch Dick van Dyke reruns and sleep. But, since I'm a mom, I couldn't do that. I had to do laundry, clean up a million messes, push kids on the swing (Ella would LIVE in the swing if we'd let her), take the kids to Malones, make dinner and everything else that needs to be done. We had the missionaries over for dinner (I really love having Sister missionaries. It's SO wonderful!!) and after we were done eating, one of them asked me what the best thing about being a mom is. Hmmm..... I was pretty stumped. Most of the day yesterday, which wasn't really a 'bad' day, I wasn't really enjoying any moments. I was just going through the motions. I tried to put into words how great and wonderful it is to see your kids make a good choice, or grow and develop in a certain area. How you're mother heart just gets so full that you think it will burst. And I of course had to mention that it's great to be on your own time frame most of the time. If we want to spend the day in our pajamas, we can. If we want to go to the zoo, we can. It's completely up to me.

But it bugged me all day. I was frustrated that I mumbled out some lame excuse about why I love being a mom. I was bothered by the fact that I couldn't really think of any concrete answer to that question. I mean, really? I really do love being a mom. I have always wanted to be a mom. I'm never embarrassed to tell people that I'm 'just a mom'. I don't feel cheated that I don't and haven't had a career. I can't think of a single job that I think is more important or rewarding than being a mom. I also can't think of anything else I'd rather do than stay home and nurture, love, lead, and guide my kids. I'm not embarrassed by these four little people who fill my days with work.
So, what is the best thing about being a mom? I think, for me, it's my kids. Which, still sounds lame. I feel like I have have a profound answer, but I don't. But each one of my kids is what makes being a mom the best thing in the world. Each one of them has such a special unique Spirit. Landon, Addie, Grant, and Ella are the BEST thing about being a mom. Seeing them meet milestones. Watching them develop. Feeling that swelling in my mother heart when they make a good choice. Hearing them learn to read. Watching their funny facial expressions and listening to their jokes when they develop a sense of humor. Hearing their opinions, which they have a lot of. All of it makes it worth it. And even on days like today, where I thought if I heard the word 'Mom' one more time then I would go crazy, I still love being a mom. I still wouldn't change it for the world!!!
Addie teaching her cousins and Nana and Grampy the sign language to a primary song.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I actually think that does make sense! I don't covet other children. I may think they are cute, sweet, smart, funny etc. but they aren't MINE! And it is your kids that the Lord has entrusted you with and that the love and desire to serve stems from.