I'm in the middle of a MAJOR dilemma. Here's my problem, Landon will be five on August 18th. The kindergarten cut off here is August 1. So, technically, Landon misses the date and has to wait until next year to start kindergarten. I think that since he is a boy it would be to his benefit to be on the older end of his class. However, since he's never been in pre-school and tends to get anxious when he has to be away from me (in a structured environment) I'm really leaning towards putting him in 1/2 day kindergarten this year (to get him used to school and the routine of it all) and then doing full day kindergarten next year (so he'll be one of the older kids in his class instead of the absolute youngest). My other worry is that there is talk that sometime in the future full day kindergarten will be mandatory. I know for a fact that I could not handle him going from being home all day to gone all day without any transition. So if we do half day this year, we avoid the chance of jumping straight into full day. Ahhhh....I don't know what to do. We're already approved to start school this year (if we choose to) so now I just need to decide.It's really not fair how much worry comes along with being a parent. I'm sure to most people it seems like a trivial thing. But it's not to me. I'm so worried I'm going to screw up my kids! It's a constant fear of mine! That at some point people are going to realize that I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I really feel like it would be best for Landon if I went ahead and put him in. Selfishly though, I'm not sure I can handle it!! And what in the world would Addie do without him during the day?!?
It's in times like these that I am so thankful for prayer. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that prayers ARE answered and if we need help, the Lord is there for us! I'm not sure what people do who don't have a testimony and knowledge of prayer!And just for fun, here are some cute pictures I took of my kids for my photography class.

Grant fell asleep so I had to snap this one, just to prove he was there too.
5 comments:
Oh, Sarah, I feel ya! We hemmed and hawed over preschool for Noah right up until the last moment. Prayer is the key-good luck!!
I think 1/2 day is a good thing. But, I have absolutly NO EXPERIANCE in making decesions in this department.
Good luck! And...this decision will not screw Landon up. I was the 2nd youngest in my high school class, and it was no big deal. And, it wasn't a huge issue for the oldest kid either.
This is from a mom, grandma, AND teacher. KEEP HIM HOME AND ENJOY HIS CHILDHOOD. THEY GROW UP WAY TOO FAST!
What about home-schooling? That way, he doesn't fall behind, he doesn't have to wait, you keep him home with you to enjoy his childhood and most importantly, you don't have some ignorant state bureaucrat telling you, the PARENT what is MANDATORY for YOUR child. Give me a break, government can't balance a budget, can't track and account for all the stimulus money, has bankrupted social security, and is about to ruin the greatest healthcare system in the world, and to make no mention of most of their personal lives-and yet they want our kids for 8 hours a day and to tell us how to raise them? Sorry, not this white boys kids.:)
You know how much thinking I did before we put Noah in. He is a July birthday, and it was a really hard decision for me. If I could do it over again...I would put him in kindergarten for 1/2 day then put him in AGAIN for full-day. It is a much easier transition. He is ready. He will be fine. You will enjoy the break. Addie will love having more attention from mom. There are a lot of pros. Just do it!! :) Oh, but pray too!!
Post a Comment