Our morning wasn't too unusual this morning. We were all awake before 7:00 (which I wasn't thrilled about). Steven was ready of out the door by 9:30 for meetings, which left me and the kids plenty of time to get ready for church (which starts at 11:00), or so I thought. I decided to check my e-mail before I jumped in the shower, which led me to find an e-mail from Walgreen's saying I can get 25% off of their photo Christmas cards. "I'll just look really quick to see what they have". Well, at 10:00 I realized I'd better kick it into high gear, so I jumped in the shower, got dressed and ready, bathed all three kids, got them all dressed and ready, got snacks packed, and got the kids in the car and to church by 11:10. Not to mention that I lost my temper a couple times during all the madness. I got to church wanting nothing but a relief from my week, month, year actually. Wanting to feel the spirit, wanting to feel the love and reassurance that my weaknesses wouldn't ruin my kids forever.
The Christmas program was today. I was very grateful for the Spirit that was there. But, I couldn't help but feel like more of a failure while my kids were acting like they were monkeys who belonged in a zoo, while everyone else had kids (who I could see, or chose to notice) who sat so quietly, and politely, and lovingly next to their parents. And I got to thinking. What is wrong with me? Why is it that I can't for the life of me teach my children the things they need to know? Why can't I instill in them the fundamental principles of life that they need to know to be happy and effective people? It's not for lack of wanting or desire. I'm not sure I could believe there is a single person out there who wants more badly than me to have their children be happy, loving, kind, God-loving people. I've never wanted anything as badly in my entire life. But I can't seem to get there.
After church wasn't much better. Sometimes I'm amazed I agreed to this plan of agency. I really do wish I could just tell my kids what to do and they would do it. Wouldn't that make life so much easier? Luckily I have a testimony of the plan of salvation, so I know why things are the way they are. But honestly, it would be SO much easier!! But ease doesn't inspire growth. So, here I am. Being stretched and pulled and forced to grow and become stronger, which I really appreciate, but I feel so bad that my kids have to suffer through this with me.
I know my kids are still small. Maybe I expect too much out of them. But I can't help but see my failures in everything around me. 'If I were a better mother...' That phrase is constantly in my mind. But I also need to remember that even if I were perfect, my kids would still be able to choose if they would obey or not. I can't control their decisions. I can only do my best. I LOVED Dallin H. Oaks talk, Love and Law and feel like it offers a lot of insights on how I could be the mother that my children deserve. But I still REALLY wish I had immediate answers for the problems that arise, that I'm clueless on how to solve. I suppose that is why it is so important to remain as close to the Spirit as possible, to be able to hear those answers and promptings when they're given. I know the Lord loves my kids even more than I do. He wants me to succeed, if for no other reason than he love my kids and wants the best for them. I just wish motherhood wasn't so hard some times...
4 comments:
Could I just copy and paste this entry over onto my blog because this is EXACTLY how I am feeling today--you really are an amazing mother and I am grateful to have someone else out there who has days like these--good thing tomorrow is a new day:)
I'm with Amy-grateful to know that I am not the only one who has days like this! I don't know the cure but I have some ice cream in the freezer if you want to come over for a sugar break!
Thank you so much for this post! What you put in me in a nutshell. I procrastinate, then take my frustrations out on my kids when things don't turn out right. It really is my fault, not theirs. I think about this all the time. And I feel like I am constantly working at it. I am glad to know that I am not alone. You are a GREAT mother! I am a better mother for just knowing you. You inspire me. So although you had a rough day, remember all the other days when you are great!
I would NEVER claim to be a good mother; but, I can say that only mothers that care feel the way you do. Hang in there!
Post a Comment