Sunday, December 20, 2009

Makin' it quick...

This will be quick because I'm at my mom's and there are usually a lot more fun things going on than blogging, but oddly enough it's pretty quiet and calm right now, so I thought I'd take a minute to write down a few things I want to remember later.

I'll tell you what, I'm pretty sure Landon is going to be a lawyer when he grows up. He can debate like no one's business! No matter what angle I'm trying to present to him, if it doesn't support his behavior or ideas, he can think of a very good and logical way of debating the point with you. That makes it very difficult. Reverse psychology doesn't work on the kid. Not at all! Here are a couple examples:

  • About a year ago we were driving home from church and Landon was crying (for who knows why) and Steven said to him "Landon, crying isn't going to help anything..." and Landon said in reply "Well, not crying isn't going to help anything either!" then continued to cry. He was true. Not crying wasn't going to change the situation, so why should he stop? We weren't sure what else to say to make him do what we wanted him to do...
  • Landon was being pretty sassy and quite rude one day and I asked him how he thought that made me feel to have him talk to me that way. He said "I don't know, I'm not you" It requires a lot of time and energy and words to then argue every little point he comes up with until we eventually get the answer we want out of him. It's exhausting!
  • We took the kids to a candy shop close to my parents house and were watching them make candy canes (very cool!). Landon was being a pill so I took him out side to have a talk with him. Because it's close to Christmas I thought I'd use Santa as incentive (not to mention that Santa comes to our house every day in December and if you're well behaved leaves a little something in your stocking for being well behaved that day). So I said to him "Landon, if you continue acting this way, Santa won't leave you anything in your stocking, and if you keep it up he just might not come at all at Christmas!" then Landon said 'Why is everyone talking about Santa anyway? Isn't it Christmas? Shouldn't you be talking about Jesus?" I had to agree then ask him how Jesus would want him to act.

See, it's a good point. A very good point. But I was really hoping that just threatening him with the 'Santa is watching' thing then he would behave better. But nope. He's got a good point to debate with me. What will I do with this kid? He's just too smart!

3 comments:

Searls Stuff said...

He really is a sharp little guy.

Lace and Joe said...

wow thats kinda awesome. I know hard but awesome that he can think of things like that on the spot. Smart little kid you have there.

Lace and Joe said...

Wish we could see you guys at Christmas too. Miss you guys lots!!!