Holy cow. It worked like a charm. They were SO well behaved for all the sessions of conference. However, after the first 2 talks, we changed the rules a bit. They had to keep a tally of how many of the words they heard, then after the talk, they got 5 pieces of candy. I wasn't expecting them to get SO much candy in each talk. We did realize that out of our selected words, Jesus Christ and Family were said the most. And because of our 5 pieces per talk limit, we have PLENTY of candy left over (now, what to do with it all?).
I love General Conference! I love having the opportunity to have two spiritually packed days. And not having to get dressed for church on Sunday is such a nice break from the routine. I felt like there were so many talks that pertained to me. And so many things said that encouraged me and gave me hope and motivation to do better. I actually wish every weekend (or at least once a month) we could have this experience.
During one of the songs that the choir sang the kids were watching the singers. Then Addie said "Grant was staring at that lady. He's falling in love with her." Landon asked how she knew he was falling in love with her and she said 'Because I saw hearts coming out of his mind'. We all died laughing! She didn't think it was all that funny. She was serious (which made us all laugh even harder)! I think she's seen too many cartoons!
Even though I was kind of grumpy yesterday evening and this evening (it's been a LONG week with the kids off school for Spring Break, I had a head cold for the first half of the week, Steven was home for MAYBE 6 waking hours this week, and Ella was pretty grumpy most of the week) I loved being home as a family. We took walks between sessions. Steven made french toast for breakfast today. Grant started drawing my favorite kind of pictures of people. Oh goodness! It made my mother heart SO happy when I saw this picture (and Addie labeled it for him). I seriously get kind of sad when my kids quit drawing people like a big head with arms and legs coming out of it!
It was a great weekend and we're sad to see it's over (but gad to put the candy away!! Next time, I think I'll do carrot sticks, popcorn, M&M's, apple chunks, and peanuts).
4 comments:
ok...i hope you don't mind...but i pinned that candy jar idea cause it's so smart! I should of done that for Daron! (no, he acutally really enjoyed conference this year!) I am not usually one to create a new pin from a blog, but I also pinned Amandas hot dog bar idea....SO CUTE!!!
I'm glad conference worked out so well for you. and your jars look super cute. I feel like I didn't catch any of conference. My goal is to listen to all four sessions this week as i putter around the house. I hate it when people ask me what talk was my favorite and I can't even recall a single talk.
We had Candy Conference at our house this weekend, too, and I'm with you- next time it'll be peas and hummus and broccoli stalks... of course that might defeat the purpose of the game!
You really MUST be related to your Uncle Ron! He thinks the best way to keep Leslie's girls quiet during sacrament meeting is to pump them full of Starburst. This does look like a fun way to keep the little ones focused on the talks.
Post a Comment