Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Routine

So, I was SO excited for school to get out. I couldn't wait to have everyone home all the time. By about Tuesday of last week, I was starting to wonder why. My house is louder, messier, and often times grumpier when everyone is here all the time! So, Tuesday night I stayed up way too late, and made a Summer Plan for each kid (well, except Ella of course). On Wednesday, I explained to the kids how it was going to work.

Each kid has a folder:
Inside each folder is a smaller folder with a weekly schedule for each week this summer stapled inside:
The schedule is a list of things that they need to do each day. Each day they need to- read, write, do math (IXL), practice something, chores, physical exercise, and then one extra thing.
For the "practice" I have Landon working on piano and typing. Addie is working on her sight words. And Grant is working on his letters and numbers. Then at the bottom, under extra, they get to pick something they want to improve on, and work on it then. They're thinking of things and as they think of things they want to learn to do (Addie- tie her shoe) then they write it on the inside of their little folder with the schedule in it. Then, each day they can pick something from that list to work on and improve in. It could be anything from drawing to shooting hoops or throwing a football. Each kid is also on 'Dinner Duty' each week, where they'll need to help with picking what's for dinner and then preparing dinner. Their Family Home Evening assignments are also on there.
Inside that folder is also paper for writing on and on the back is stapled a page full of writing prompts, in case they need help to get going.
Our school district has changed the curriculum and they are no longer teaching cursive. Landon REALLY wants to learn cursive. So, I told him if he could improve his penmanship, then I would teach him cursive. He's SUPER excited about that.
Once I explained how things were going to work, they were SOOOO excited and I must say our days have run a lot smoother. Looks like I'm not the only one in this house who is starving for some organization in our daily life!!!

3 comments:

Julianne said...

GENIUS!

Searls Stuff said...

Speaking as a teacher: "Oh, thank you!" When the new year starts and your babies are already used to structure, the transition into the new year will be so much smoother. Great ideas, Sarah!

Lynners said...

You are brilliant. I might start implementing something like this myself, even though summer is 1/3 over.