I wish I would have documented our Christmas activities along the way. Then maybe I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed trying to do it all now! Here are some of the highlights!
On the Saturday before Christmas, we headed to the local candy shop to watch them make candy. In years past we've seen them make candy canes and red hot candies.
This year when we went they weren't making those, but they were making some candies. Like these "Modjeskas" (caramel covered marshmallows).Grant and Miles found this cute little table with two chairs attached. Such cute little boys and friends (most of the time).
As we left the shop, look who we ran into walking down the street handing out candy canes! Santa Clause himself!!! The kids were SO excited!!
Landon giving good old St. Nick a hug.
On Christmas Eve the adults in my family have a kid free 'Fancy Dinner'. To show what hicks we are, we actually call it 'Fancy Dinner'. Anyway, the night before Brad and Jessica took Landon and Porter for a sleep over and James took Addie, Maya, and Bennett. Since we had the morning without all the kids we were able to get a lot of the prep work done, then Amanda and Casey (and Brad and Jessica and Hannah) took all 7 older kids to see a movie while we finished the last minute preparations. Then, before we put the kids to bed, we let them exchange cousin gifts. I didn't get very many good pictures, but Miles (err...Amanda) gave Ella these adorable bracelets that Ella hasn't taken off, except for baths, since she got them!
Proof, this is Ella last night, sleeping with her bracelets on!
Ella gave Miles these superhero masks that I made for him. They were quite the hit too!I mean, look that the excitement on Porter's face! :)
Then we let the kids open their new Christmas pajamas. Last year Amanda and I made all the kids pajama's. This year we found pajama's for about $4 on Black Friday and couldn't resist the price. We wouldn't be able to get fabric for that price. And, even though I am not a big fan of character things, I'm glad I gave in and got them anyway, because my kids (well, all the kids actually) were THRILLED to have such 'cool' pajamas. Grant and Miles in their Ninja Turtle pjs.
Porter, Landon, and Bennett in their Mario pajamas! See how excited they are!!
And the girls got Hello Kitty.
James and Brad wanted to get in on the matching too and rushed over to the get their picture in front of the tree before I put my camera away. (I'm not sure if they planned on matching or if it just happened that they were twins for the day). And there's cute little Ender in his Lightning McQueen pajamas!
And I didn't get any pictures of Fancy dinner, which is a big bummer. But I was too busy enjoying the delicious pinwheels and spinach dip for appetizer, a fresh salad with beets and a yummy goat cheese dressing, Prime Rib with au jus, garlic mashed potatoes, basil and rosemary green beans with cherry tomatoes, and creme brulee for dessert!! Before we had dessert though, because we were so stuffed from the yummy dinner, we exchanged 'Favorite Things'. This is something we've been doing for the last 2 years. Each person gives their favorite thing over the last year. It can be some small things, or a big thing. Then we exchange them 'white elephant' style. After the gift exchange we play carols on the bells, which is probably my favorite (and Steven's least favorite) part of the night! It was a great time, and I'm sad I didn't take any pictures. Maybe next year!!
No comments:
Post a Comment