Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mind your Manners!

I'm stuck at home today. Grant has been running a fever, and even though he seems mostly fine when he has some Motrin in him, we decided to not expose everyone at church to him. I'm pretty sure his fever is from his shots a couple weeks ago. The Dr. told me that if he had any reaction to them, it would probably be a couple weeks from the time he got the shots. But if he's not better by Tuesday or so, I think I'll take him in. Anyway, that's why I'm writing this instead of being at church. Steven stayed home a couple weeks ago with the kids when they were all having turns with the stomach bug, so he took the two older kids to church today and now I'm the one on stay-home-duty with Grant.

Anyway, I've been wanting to work on the kids table manners. It's something that I kept meaning to do for a Family Home Evening lesson, but since Steven doesn't get home until about 6:30 on Monday's, we've never really been able to do it the way I wanted to. So, this past Friday we had a Fancy dinner, and had a little lesson on manners beforehand. The kids thought it was SO much fun, and dinner was so wonderful and fun with the kids acting like humans and not like monkeys.During the lesson part, we talked about what is polite and what is not. And read this really cute book called 'Thingamajigs'. The kids really liked it! We set the table with a table cloth, cloth napkins, glass plates, and tall fancy cups and talked about how to properly set a table. I made sure to make something for dinner that I knew the kids didn't LOVE but didn't HATE too, so they could work on eating all their food, or at least politely declining. They actually ate everything REALLY well! We had B-B-Q chicken, corn, loaded mashed potatoes, and fruit salad. I knew the kids are very hit and miss at eating mashed potatoes and Landon doesn't usually eat chicken really great. He had 3 helpings of chicken though! It was great! The one thing Landon didn't eat was his corn, which was unusual, because he LOVES corn (and most any vegetables). When I asked him why he wasn't eating his corn he said 'I always make a mess when I eat corn, and I don't want to mess up our fancy dinner'. It's true, he is the messiest corn eater, but I assured him that he could eat his corn and just take his time to make sure he isn't too messy. Overall though, I thought it was quite the success!!

5 comments:

Zarsky Family said...

What a fun idea! I might try it soon. I hope Grant gets well soon!

Anonymous said...

SUch a fun night for you guys! What a good way to teach the table manners! :) Hope Grant gets feeling better! It's no fun having a sick baby!

Katy Wilson said...

how adorable!!

Kathy said...

Now you will want to do Fancy Dinner every night :) I can't wait to see you guys! THIS WEEK!

Leah said...

How fun! And it sounded yummy to me!