Tonight we were reading the scripture story of Peter walking on the water with Jesus. Then Steven was talking to the kids about faith. Landon told us that he has a TON of faith. That his faith is "as much as he loves mom and dad." So he asked "So then I can walk on water, right?" Steven explained that if he had faith then he could do anything Heavenly Father wanted him to do. Then Landon jumped up, ran up the first 4 stairs (then our staircase turns and goes up another 8 or whatever stairs) and instead of turning to continue up the stairs the ran into the wall, but continued the running motions. He said "I have faith. How come I can't run up the wall?" We tried to explain it to him again, and he tried to climb the wall again. Finally we just tried to distract him because he just wasn't getting the 'if it's God's will' part of the whole thing. It was pretty funny.
I joined Sam's Club today. We were hoping to get a computer there tonight, but they didn't have a great selection. We're really hoping to have a new computer sooner than later. This laptop is missing 4 keys, the 'S' key only works half the time I push it, and every now and then my palm will touch the 'touch mouse pad' and make my cursor jump all over the place which then makes me type in random spots. It's very annoying. Not to mention the whole not-being-able-to-upload-pictures thing.
I'm signing Landon up for Soccer tomorrow. I'm excited for him to do it. He did a little soccer thing last year and LOVED it. I think he'll really like this. I'm hoping he'll get on the same team as a lady from church who is coaching. It think this will be good for his anxiousness when I leave him.
Speaking of which, Landon went to his class on Sunday with NO crying!! I got some books from the library on Separation Anxiety, and even though they weren't super helpful (they had 2 reasons why kids are anxious when their parents leave them and I'm almost 100% positive that neither of those are Landon's problem) however I was able to find some good tips on helping him face his fears. So, on Sunday I went and sat with Addie's class for the first 15 or so minutes so Landon could see me, but couldn't sit with me. Then when I left he was already feeling secure with his class, so he did great. We talked about it before class a lot and he and Addie both did great, so we were able to make peanut butter bars after church. I'm really hoping this week will be just as great!
And while I was at the library I got a book about the parenting style "Love and Logic". I think that a lot of the stories they use as examples are SUPER cheesy and dramatic. I also think someone could go over board with it, but so far I'm LOVING it. I've been trying to apply the principles of it and I've noticed a difference in our house. My kids still have meltdowns occasionally, but I feel like I'm able to handle them better because I have a game plan (and I feel confident in it because I'm not second guessing myself thinking "Will this really work?" "Do I really know what I'm doing"). Anyway. Their basic four principles are
- Build the Self-Concept: Every thing they do and learn effects how they see themselves which in turn determines what they choose for their lives.
- Share the Control: Give you children TONS of choices in the small things in life, but make sure you're getting what you want with EITHER choice they make. (Would you like to brush your teeth now or in 5 minutes VS Go brush your teeth). Their guidelines for giving choices is 1- give 99% or choices when they're behaving 2- only give choices that effect NO ONE else on the planet! 3- Only offer two options 4- If they don't chose in 10 seconds you choose for them. That way they learn consequences of actions and it cuts out the negotiation that kid like to get into (at least my kids do).
- Offer Empathy, then Consequences- If we allow our children to make mistakes so they can learn from them, then we show empathy (I'm so sorry you didn't listen to me and pick up your toys. Now they have to go in time-out) then they learn to take responsibility for their actions and not resent adults for punishing them.
- Share the Thinking- Every time they cause a problem or make a mistake, allow them to think more about the solution than you do.
Anyway, that was wordy, and not really giving it justice, but I can see it working. I've been really working hard on giving my kids two choices on just about everything during the day. Which plate do you want, red or green? Do you want to clean up the toy room before bath or after? Would you like an apple or a clementine for a snack? Would you like your sandwich cut or whole? I can tell Landon is doing a lot better with all of this. He doesn't try to tell me he doesn't want to clean up the toy room, because the way it's presented to him makes cleaning the toy room unavoidable, but he is in control of when he does it. Anyway, I'm loving it. It really focuses on teaching your kids consequences for their actions, but in a loving way. Oh, funny story, the other night I was reading a scripture story to the kids before bed and Landon said "Mom, I have a question, do you want me to ask you now or after you're done reading?" He was TOTALLY using the 'Love and Logic' on me! Obviously he's noticing a difference.
The Elmers were up here visiting before they headed back to Boston. They got here Monday and left Thursday. Wednesday we took the kids to Monkey Joe's and about a half an hour before we were planning to leave Grant threw up ALL over me. Really, it was everywhere! We hurried out of there. That night Grant, Maya and Porter were throwing up. Luckily it was only about a 12 hour bug, but that was NOT fun.
It was fun having the Elmers here though. I'm so sad they're so far away!! HOPEFULLY some day we'll live close to each other again. It was so great having them here.
Oh yeah, did I mention that Steven printed my blog into a book for me for Christmas? I was THRILLED!! I wish I would have been better at checking my spelling and typos and stuff, but I'm so thrilled to have a hard copy of our pictures and stories. I was very pleasantly surprised!!
Tonight we made rice crispy treats for Addie before we put the kids to bed because she slept all night in her bed last night. I'm really hoping we can get her in the habit of staying in her own bed. Well, technically it was Landon's bed. Last night they switched beds, and tonight they did too for some reason. Anyway, it doesn't matter, as long as she stays in her own bed!!!
Okay, this is much to wordy to think there are no cute pictures of my kids to go along with it. Hopefully next time I write on here I'll have a new computer!!
4 comments:
love and logic is one of the strategies that they teach teachers to use in their classrooms! There are days/weeks/months that I am better at it than others!
Always appreciate good parenting tips-Thanks for putting them on you blog! Good luck with the computer search!
Hey, sis. I think I fixed the commenting on my page. I love reading about the kids. Tell them I say hi!
Do you have a webcam? I would love to talk parenting with you. I adore love and logic. We have combined it with some stuff that we learned at a fireside. Let me know about the webcam.
Post a Comment