Thursday, July 15, 2010

Glad it's over...

Last night, Landon went to sleep looking like this:Tonight, he went to bed looking like this:Notice anything different? Notice anything missing? Yep, his two front teeth. When Landon was about two and a half he fell out of a bathtub and hit his teeth. I took him into the dentist, and the incompetent fool wouldn't even look in Landon's mouth. He just told me that his teeth would probably change colors, and to feel around his gums for an abscess (like I know how to do that! I didn't go to dental school and I've only had 1 cavity so it's not like I'm very experienced with all things dental!) Well, about 3 weeks ago his teeth started hurting him. I took him into his new dentist (we never saw the other guy again) and they did x-ray's and found that both teeth were abscess, most likely due to his fall three years ago! He had developed a HUGE bump/pocket above his tooth that they were worried would rot his adult tooth growing in behind the baby tooth.Looks so gross, huh?! So he had to go in today to have them pulled. He was SUPER excited about it (thank-you Toothfairy!). I, on the other had, was not at all excited. I was really nervous! I did a really great job at not letting him know, but when I was sitting in the waiting room after sitting with him while they gave him the laughing gas, I honestly thought I was going to throw up I was so worried. Mainly just during the parts where I could hear him scream (which happened two or three times. I'm guessing for the numbing shot, plus they tried to drain the pocket on his gums, and I'm sure that wasn't enjoyable!) and then when they were done I could hear him crying for me. It was TERRIBLE!! He doesn't remember ANY of it, except they made him drink nasty juice (to make him loopy). On the way home he was very weepy and would just start crying. Then at one point he stopped and said 'Mom, they didn't even pull my teeth.' I reminded him that they did, because they weren't in his mouth anymore and he said 'Well, they just made me drink nasty juice...then they TACKLED ME!!' And he started bawling again! I told him that I would never leave him alone in a room with people who would tackle him and he said 'They just attacked me!' It was SO sad. I explained to him that he was probably wiggling and they just had to hold him still. He was very clumsy until the medicine wore off, and tonight, when he was telling Steven about it, all said and remembered was that he drank the juice and slept though the rest because he was SO tired. I'm very thankful that he doesn't remember it. He loves going to the dentist and I don't want that to change. I know it was a minor thing, but it was terrible for me (I'm blaming a lot of that of the fact that I'm pregnant and emotional and have high anxiety anyway). I'm just so relieved it's over with!!

5 comments:

Gigi said...

Oh Sarah, I feel your pain. Logan had to have root canals on his two front teeth after a mishap a few years ago just so he wouldn't get abscesses! His teeth turned dark after his accident though, so the dentist could see the damage. I hope Landon feels better soon and more importantly, that you do. The whole incident was much more traumatic for me than it was for Logan. Good luck!

tacy said...

I almost started crying just reading that! Poor guy!

Searls Stuff said...

What a tough little guy! I am so glad his young memory is already starting to block out the unpleasant part. You are such a tenderhearted and loving mom.

Amanda said...

Poor little wandon... At least he'll be feeling better now. I'm so glad you posted a picture. We should get a picture of him and Maya together with their snaggley mouths.

Lace and Joe said...

Oh man...I almost started crying for you! I'm glad he doesn't remember it. Now lets pray that you'll be able to forget about it.