Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Can Opener

My can opener was missing. It is one of those things that you don't pay any attention to, until you can't find it. I needed it last night, and searched for AT LEAST 20 minutes. I searched every cupboard and drawer in my kitchen, the fridge, the stove, the microwave (you never know with kids). I checked the bathroom, the living room, the kids room, the back yard, the garage, my bedroom, the trash can. I finally asked Steven to look, because maybe, just maybe, it was in open sight and I was over looking it. He couldn't find it. Landon says to me 'Mom, why don't you stop looking and say a prayer, THEN look'. Hmmm...good idea! So, I do. I continue to look, still no can opener! We just made due without it. I was pretty convinced that it must have been thrown away in a bag that was already taken out or that my kids had run off with it. They have this bad habit of taking things, that aren't toys and moving them from where they go. I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that pillows stay on the bed, or at least in the bedroom, not piled on the stairs. Or that toothbrushes stay in the bathroom. That way every night we're not searching for one of their toothbrush's, only to find it in the kitchen play set (luckily they only take their toothbrushes out, not mine!!). Anyway, I had a very stern lecture planed for these kiddos. I was just waiting for the right time to give it. Well, today I needed that darn can opener again to open a can of pumpkin. Steven wasn't around to make due without it like he was the night before. I decided to go to the garage to see if he had a tool that I could maybe use. Well, guess what I found. THE CAN OPENER! And guess who left it there! me. Gee, I felt pretty foolish. A couple weeks ago we had a ward party and, being the Activities Committee Chairman, I had taken it to the park where the party was at, to open a few things we needed opened. When we got home, my bucket with the extension cords, and name tags, and tape, and that sort of thing, got put in the garage, forgetting that the can opener was inside. I'm glad I chose to hold off on the lecture for my kids (although, the do need the lecture still, but not because of the can opener) and I'm super glad I found the can opener. I was able to tell Landon that his (and my) prayer was answered, it just took a while, like answers sometimes do. Now, if I can just find my camera. I have a pretty good lecture in the workings right now for my kids for when I find it, about how there are certain things they just aren't allowed to touch and play with, but once again, I think I'll hold off, because with this brain of mine lately, I probably stuck it in the freezer without realizing it!

2 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

hilarious!! i love it and do very similar things all things all the time

Kathy said...

You crack me up. End of story.