The other day I decided to weigh myself before I got in the shower. Landon walked into the bathroom to go pee just as I stepped on the scale. He looked over at the number and said 'WHOA! THAT'S
A LOT OF POUNDS!!'
thanks!I was loving kindergarten at the beginning. Now, I'm not quite so sure. I'm not loving the things Landon has picked up from the other kids at school. For instance, all he seems to talk about is his booty (a.k.a. his bum). Also, today when we were on our way to the library Landon decided to change all the words in the song we were listening to, to 'arm pits' (so the song went something like this 'arm pits, arm pits, arm arm arm arm arm pits...etc...) Why is it that little kids (mainly boys I think) find 'booty's' and 'arm pits' so funny. You never would hear a little boy talking about his ear lobe. Or his neck. Nope, that's just not funny for some reason.

And while I'm talking about Landon, he's kind of driving me crazy lately with his 'literal' mind. He takes EVERYTHING that is said literally. Even when he KNOWS perfectly well what you mean. We drove by the Dr. office and Addie said 'Landon, that's where I got my shots'. Landon feigns concern and says 'THEY SHOT YOU?! Why are you still alive then? If someone shoots you with a gun, you DIE! Why would they shoot you?' and on and on. If I say 'Just a second' he will ALWAYS count to one, then say, 'okay, your second is up'. If I tell him to jump in the bath, he acts appalled and informs me how unsafe it is to 'jump' into the bath. I could go ON and ON, but I'm seriously gong to go crazy! I don't know how to explain to him that he's being a smart alack, and it doesn't seem to matter how many times I say 'You KNOW WHAT I MEAN' because I always get a response like '...but you
said your legs are killing you, so that must mean they're making you die, because that's what 'killing you' means!' or whatever it happened to be that I said. I never realized how many things I say, that when taken literally, can be very annoying!

Steven has corrupted Grant. Not only is Grant a HUGE daddy's boy, but he's OBSESSED with music (or geck-geck as Grant calls it). And he doesn't like kids music. No primary songs, or Bert and Ernie songs, or Nursery Rhyme songs, or anything of the sort will suit him. It has to be Muse. Or Billy Talent. Or (heaven help me) Chris Cornell. All music that I think is too heavy for such a little guy, and some of which annoys the crap out of me (I can't STAND Chris Cornell!) I finally had to put my foot down. I told Steven that ALL Billy Talent is too heavy, so off limits, only
some Muse will work, and he knows perfectly well how I feel about Chris Cornell. Grant can listen to Better Than Ezra and Deathcab for Cutie. Those are two bands Grant enjoys, that are somewhat acceptable for his age. The pathetic thing is that he KNOWS what he wants, and will throw the mother of all fits until you put it on. It doesn't bother me too much, but Steven gives in almost as soon as Grant starts the dramatics!

I've discovered that Addie talks to me a lot more now that Landon is in school. Like NON-STOP the whole time he's gone. I think she's used to him talking to her, and having him to talk to. Since he's not here, she talks to me constantly. One things that is funny about Addie though, is she does not like to be wrong, or get the answer no. So, When she asks me 'Can we go to the library right now?' and I answer that we can't because we have to pick Landon up from school in a couple minutes she then says 'No, I mean, after we pick Landon up' then I tell her that we can't because we have to come home to have lunch because Landon will be so hungry. Then she responds 'No, AFTER lunch' to which I say that Grant will need his nap, so we can't go then. Then she retorts 'I mean AFTER Grants nap, THEN can we go to the library.' At this point I sigh, and tell her that we can't because we have x, y, or z that we have to do after Grants nap. The, of course, she says 'NO, I MEAN THIS WEEK can we go to the library?' Finally I respond with 'Yes, sometime this week, we'll go to the library.' Then she's happy. She finally got the answer yes. It doesn't seem to matter what we're talking about, she will continue to phrase her question differently and change the terms of her question, until she gets a positive answer.
It's really quite tiring being a mom. All these little things it's no wonder there's that saying that says 'Being a mother to small children is like being pecked to death by chickens'
Disclaimer: I really do love my children with all my heart. I think they're amazing and wonderful. I can't imagine my life without them, and LOVE being a mom. It's hard, but VERY rewarding. I just need to vent sometimes, and I always feel better after venting to my blog. I'll try to not be so negative and grumpy in future posts.
5 comments:
It's not grumpy..I think it is funny. In the sense that I have been there and yeah, I get it.
Thanks for the laughs. Your kids sure sound cute!
I think it is time to introduce Landon to idioms and Amelia Bedelia. I used it as a unit in 1st grade. It was a lot of fun because the students would pick an idiom, research what it meant, and draw a poster about it. He sounds like that is right up his alley. I can't guarantee it will make him stop, but at least it can become a learning opportunity!
I have attributed Bergen's "booty" talk to the recent Old Navy commercial with The Booty Reader! We say bum or bottom in our family and I can't stand hearing my three and a half year old use that word (while she shakes it)! I wish you luck Sarah. Let me know when you figure out what works.
This probably wouldn't be so funny if I wasn't rolling my eyes in sympathy. Kids. Kids. Kids.
I must say, I think that literal thing would drive me insane. The one that really gets me right now is where my kids will ask me the EXACT SAME QUESTION over and over and over--despite getting the same answer every time. And then when I say, "Why are you still asking me when I already said yes?" they'll say, "I just wanted to make sure you hadn't changed your mind." Aaaahhh!
Mike does that same song lyric changing thing--seriously. I have been protesting for years. Landon's future wife is doomed. Maybe you can put a sticky note next to the baby pictures to warn her before marriage. If you curb that habit, put a sticky note that says that she owes you.
Maybe you can skip the middle steps in your conversations with Addie. Maybe you can immediately tell her when that activity will be available. IE "Yes Addie, next summer we will be able to go to the library, in the meantime, we will go to the grocery store a lot."
Post a Comment