Sunday, January 16, 2011

A break


I really thought the transition from three kids to four was pretty easy. It wasn't that much different really, and since it is the middle of winter, we don't really go anywhere. It's kind of easy to adjust when you stay home all the time. However, lately I'm starting to feel the strain. Normally I work my butt off from 7am- 8 pm. Then once the kids are in bed I can do whatever I want. Crochet, read, write on my blog, watch a show, fold laundry, mop the kitchen floor (not that I ever really WANT to do those last two things) or just lay around and veg. It's up to me. I'm finally free from little people asking me to do things for them.

But that's changed since I had Ella. My evenings aren't mine anymore. They're Ella's. Every evening around 6-ish she starts to get fussy. Not colicky, just fussy. She wants to be held. She doesn't sleep as much. She wants to be bounced, rocked, swayed. It's non-stop (or so it seems) until after her bath around 10:00. She is usually finally fed and sleeping by 11:00. By then, I'm so tired I go right to sleep, and then I wake up every three hours to feed her, and then by 7:00 the next morning (if I'm lucky enough to sleep in until 7:00) it's time to get up and do it all over again. I wake up feeling like I never got a break. It would be like working somewhere, falling asleep at your desk, waking up every 3 hours to do some more work for 30-45 minutes. Falling back asleep, only to wake up at work and have to get started RIGHT away. After two months of this, I'm starting to feel the strain!

Luckily, I was able to go out one evening this past week, Steven and I went on a date on Friday, and then had a 'meeting' of sorts on Saturday night. Last night however, after we had been gone for about an hour, our babysitter called to inform us that Grant had just thrown up all over our bed. We rushed home, paid the babysitter for about 5 hours of work, even though he was only here for about and hour and a half since he had to clean up throw up, and then stayed up most of the night cleaning up throw up from Grant and Addie (who decided to join in on the fun, but luckily she only threw up once, Grant on the other hand threw up about 8 times).

So, I'm home from church to day with sick kids. I love the weekends. I love having Steven home to help out and spend time with. Just having him around makes me happy. But I feel like one of our weekend days has been taken away now. It just feels like a normal work day. Steven was gone by about 8:00 for meetings at church, and he won't be home until 2:30-ish when church is over. He had to speak in church today, and I didn't even get to hear it! If it wasn't for him needing to do things at church today I would have had him come home so I could at least have gone to Relief Society. Oh well. There's always next week. But it's funny how, as an adult now, I live for Sunday's. If I don't get to go to church and sacrament meeting, I can feel that it's missing. And, I'm going to be honest, I don't like it. Not one bit!

Anyway, that's enough complaining for one day (don't you think?). So I'm going to go play "Choose the Right, a matching game" (a church card game my mother-in-law got the kids for Christmas -THANK YOU Cheresa!!) with the kids, then maybe, JUST maybe, I'll be able to work in a nap. After the night we had last night, I could really use it!!

p.s. Ella wants very badly to be a thumb sucker! I, however, want very badly for her to take a binky (which she will gladly take, when I give it to her)! I think there isn't much cuter than a baby sucking their thumb, but now that we're about to break Grant of the habit, I've decided binky's are better!!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Steven's talk was great! :-) And I also have a hard time adjusting to the evenings/nights with a new baby--I count so much on that relaxation time to rejuvenate me for the next day.

Of course, here I am talking about rejuvenation when I'm home with a sick baby (we left after sacrament meeting) and I really should be resting instead of reading blogs.

La Familia Gutierrez said...

I looke forward to Sunday's too-especially Relief Society, but I havent been to RS for months cause the nursery needed a sub or I had to cover piano in primary. I was so excited to got to church today and then at 1030 I got the call to cover piano again-groan!! Oh well, like you said-there is always next week!

Brittany said...

This. To a Tee. My life. Need I say more?

Searls Stuff said...

Being a Mom comes with so many challenges. Having your blog must be a great way to vent and learn that others feel the same way. I am glad you have this outlet. Hang in there!