A couple weeks ago we got a book at the library. It's a poetry book called 'OOPS' by Alan Katz. At the end the author rambles on for quite a while in a very charming way about how much he liked writing the book and working with the illustator and yada, yada yada. He then mentions that he wrote the poems in the book all different places. In fact, one was written in its entirity while he was in the john. He then challenged readers to figure out which poem that was and e-mail him with our guess. He even asked that they write him their own poems. Of course, we had to take him up on that challenge. We searched in the book, found what we thought was the most likely poem (and there were a couple posibilites!) and got to work on our e-mail. This is what we sent out to him (no making fun of our poems).
Dear Mr. Katz,
I've been reading your book 'Oops!' to my children (ages 6, 4, 2, and 2 months) and we've all loved it (even the 2 month old! You're got quite the knack with the wee ones! ;)) We're pretty sure we discovered which poem was written in its entirety while you were on the potty. We think it was "The Rear Wiper". My kids wanted to write some poems for you, and even though I tried, I haven't quite taught them the rhythm of a poem yet. So here is the premiere of the Harward Children Poets!
by Landon Harward:
I went to school.
I beat myself up with drool.
I went in the bath,
to take a great nap,
the day that there is no school.
(age 6)
by Addie Harward:
I have a polar bear
He has a lot of hair.
So his hair could grow like a girl.
(age 4)
by Landon Harward:
I saw despicable me.
He asked me for fleas.
(age 6)
by Sarah Harward:
I am the mother of four
to some my job seems quite a bore.
But we fill our time
reading pages of rhyme
in "Oops" as we sit on the floor.
(age 30, sorry to say I can't blame my age for this lame limerick.)
We can't wait to hear back from you!
The Harward Family
Landon was so excited to hear back. He had me check my e-mail multiple times until we heard back. We were SO thrilled when we got his response. This is what he wrote back:
Hello Landon! Hello Addie! Hello Sarah! Hello to everyone in the Harward family!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your poems! You are all SO CREATIVE and SO KIND to share your poems with me!
I am sorry to say that your guess (though a really good one!) isn't the right answer. The real answer is...Did He Take a Macbath?
But you are so great to take the time to guess and share! And here's a poem for you...it's one that I wrote for my next poetry book, which will be called POEMS I WROTE WHEN NO ONE WAS LOOKING!
Ch-ch-ch-check, Please
I only eat foods that begin with “c-h”,
Like chicken and churros and chili.
If you're cooking dinner and there's no “c-h”,
then trying to feed me is silly.
Today I had chocolate and chickpeas and chips,
chimichangas and chow mein and cheese.
Tonight, chunky chowder is the only choice--
(Mom is out of “c-h” recipes).
She ordered a cookbook
that's coming tomorrow;
mom promised great foods she'll be makin'.
It will be a menu of new “c-h” treats--
like chmeatloaf!! Chomelets! Chbacon!
Happy new year! All best wishes to all of you!
Best,
Alan
How cool is that? It caused quite a bit of excitement around here. The poems are funny and cute, and perfect for 6 year old boys. So if you get a chance, check it out, and drop the poet an e-mail, but I guess that's not very fair, since we just told you the right answer. Okay, so just check it out.
4 comments:
How exciting! You and the kids did a great job with your poems--I am impressed. Thanks for sharing about the book; I am going to look it up right now!
That's super fun! What a cool author.
that is so cool!!!!
How awesome that he emailed you back! What a nice guy!
Post a Comment