Monday, January 24, 2011

GIRLS WEEKEND! (and a few other random things)

This past weekend was the best weekend of my year. Granted, it's only the 4th weekend of the year, but it was by far the best!! My mom and sister and I planned a girls weekend at my moms. We had no kids (except for Ella) and lots of crafting. It was so wonderful!! I wish I had some amazing finished projects to show everyone, but all of mine are half way done (but don't worry, I'll show them anyway). We only had one full day together (I got there on Friday evening and left on Sunday morning) but I was happy with what we got done. We were able to go out for breakfast (one highlight of the weekend was the hot chocolate I ordered at breakfast. Usually I wouldn't order hot chocolate at breakfast (well, usually, I wouldn't go out to eat for breakfast) because I'd have three little mouths saying they wanted hot chocolate, and I wouldn't want to spend the money for them to get it. Or we'd all share. To make it all the better it was free refills, so I sat there and drank THREE hot chocolates, all by myself. Oh, it was nice!!) We also went out for dinner. It was so nice to spend some uninterrupted time with my mom, sister (Amanda), sister-in-law (Jessica) and her mom! Here's an idea of the crafts I got done.

I made a board to put in our down stairs bathroom. I'm going to re-do the bathroom in black, white and green. I made this board (and will put 4 hooks on it) for the kids to hang their towels on. I'm going to get matching towels, and embroider their names on the towels too

Next up, I turned this:Into this:I'm going to hang this chalk board in my kitchen. It will be a place to write out the menu for the week, write down messages, or keep lists, plus the kids can doodle on it while I make dinner. I'm hoping to put something in vinyl lettering at the top. I haven't decided what it will say yet.

We also made these necklaces. They were A LOT harder than they looked, and I didn't get mine all the way done. This one was Amanda's. Mine is a bit different, but you get the idea.And then here's just a few other pictures I snapped, then I started having too much fun to remember to take any more pictures! (Amanda made (and mom) made a pair of maternity jeans for Amanda. I was surprised with how easy it seemed and how well they turned out. Amanda also made a reusable vinyl bag.) It was such a refreshing weekend and I'm so thankful for Steven for not even thinking twice about me going and him staying home with the kids (and Casey and his 4 kids, and my brother Brad). He's a trooper and I'm so thankful that he realizes how important it is for me to do something like this once in a while (like maybe twice a year).

In other news, Addie is a lot like me. This is where she can be found a lot of mornings.When Steven gets in the shower she will usually make her way to the bathroom,lay on the floor, just outside the bathroom door and watch him shave and get ready for work. Then she eats breakfast with him and when he heads off to work, she cuddles with me for a while. When I was little, I used to get up every morning at watch my dad get ready for work. I'd watch him shave and then eat breakfast with him. Then he'd put on the Sound of Music (or the Wizard of Oz) for me to watch until my mom woke up. Like mother like daughter I guess (and I still have a fascination with watching people shave. Every time Steven shaves, it mesmerizes me, but it could be that cute kissing face that he makes when shaving his neck that mesmerizes me).

And lastly, this morning my phone went off at 8:20, like it does every weekday, to let me know it's time to get every ones shoes on and head over to the bus stop. When it went off, I had Landon grab it for me, because I was putting Grant's shoes on him. After we got Landon off to school I was looking for my phone because I needed to call Steven (and our home phone wasn't working for a while). I couldn't find it anywhere! Then I remembered that Landon put my phone in his coat pocket, and must have taken it to schools with him. He didn't have a clue that he still had it...that is until 11:22, when it started ringing (because that's when the reminder to go pick him up from school goes off)! Luckily, at that time it was recess (indoor recess because of the weather) so it didn't disrupt the teacher or anything, but I can just imagine what the recess aide was thinking about the mother who sent her kindergartner to school with a cell phone!!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thanks for posting about Girls Weekend. I miss you and wish we could do it again real soon. Maybe when you come to visit we could do a 2 hour craft time and send kids and dads to the movies or something like that. Landon with the cell phone cracked me up.