This might be my only chance to update for a bit, so I thought I'd seize the moment, even though I don't have much to write, no pictures to share, and I'd rather be in bed. But the kids are all in bed (even if Grant keeps crying for his daddy and saying cute things through his sobs like 'Daddy, where are you?') so I thought this might be the only chance I get!

This past week has been an interesting one! Tuesday morning I took Steven to the ER for the intense and severe abdominal pain he was having. He's been having the same symptom for about a year (the first time it happened was on his birthday last year, April 3rd.) The pain seems to be coming more often and seemed to be at an all time worst on Tuesday. I convinced him to let me take him in, so he and I and all four kids loaded up at 7:00 in the morning, only to find out (after 4 hours) that he is perfectly healthy as far as they can tell. I know I should have been happy with that news, but I wasn't. I was quite annoyed! I felt very blessed and loved however when the bishop met us at the hospital and took my kids (except Ella of course) back to his house. The Relief Society President showed up to see if there was anything she could do for us. Our home teacher called us at the hospital, and my visiting teaching companion called. And that was all within the first 3 hours of being there!! It was quite amazing! I had tried to get a hold of our home teacher to give Steven a blessing, but couldn't get a hold of him. Then I tried the bishop, who we are friends with and we knew he'd be up and about. When I couldn't get a hold of him either, we headed to the ER. Word spread quickly though, and we had many calls throughout the day checking up on him and our wonderful home teacher's wife brought us dinner! So that made for an interesting day!

The Elmers came to visit us for their spring break they got here on Tuesday afternoon, and by Wednesday night we have 4 kids throwing up. The good news? It wasn't a very long bug. It only seemed to last for about 8-10 hours (12 tops). The bad news? EVERYONE (except for Ella, Casey (who was gone during most of it) and Miles) got it. I'm not sure why, but it seems like every time we get to spend a 'fun filled week' with the Elmers, we decide to use it puking. Amanda and Steven were the only ones who got it and were strong enough to not puke. The rest of us lived with a bowl by our faces for a while.

Thursday we met with a surgeon who finally gave us some answers as to why his been having this 'mystery pain'. They're pretty positive it's his gallbladder (which is what I've thought from day 1!) His gallbladder isn't producing gallstones though. Instead they think that it's just producing SUPER thick bile, which is having the same reaction as gallstones would have. It's funny how things work out. After his first couple attacks, his doc ordered to have a hydra-scan done. The tests consists of two parts, and for some reason they were only able to do the first part of the test. The second part of the test would have let them know that he is producing thick bile (doesn't that just sound gross?!?). They didn't do the second part though, so he's gone for a year with this pain, off and on. At first I was SO frustrated about that. I was annoyed that he's had to go through this for so long, when if they'd have just done things the right way the first time then we could have been over this! Then I realized that if they had figured it out before then he would have still been with his previous employer. They were not very employee friendly. He wouldn't have been able to take the time needed for recovery, doctor appointments and everything else like he has been able to with his new job. His new employers are SO great! He went to work on Wednesday, they sent him home and told him not to come back until they've fixed him. To take the time he needs (at no loss of pay) to get whatever needs to be done, done. That NEVER would have a happened last year. So, it's quite the blessing (not to mention our insurance is quite a bit better!). So, we're heading in tomorrow afternoon to have Steven's gallbladder removed. The surgeon said it is a easy recovery, so we're planning on heading to my parents on Wednesday. Amanda is being induced on Friday so I'll be able to help with the kids and we'll be there for conference weekend. So, that's what we've been up to. Lots of 'pains in our sides' but we see the light at the end of the tunnel and we're super thankful for that!!!

(the pictures are just to make up for the super wordy post. They're just some pictures I've snapped to show my friend Miranda that Ella LOVES her loveys! Thanks Miranda!)
4 comments:
I am so sorry that Steven will be joining the ranks of the gall bladder-less people. I joined that group after Brynlee was born. The recovery was not all that bad, but the side effects are enduring. That BP bathroom at the Frankfort/Attica exit was a lifesaver after driving back from Indy. Word to the wise: never eat something greasy without knowing where the nearest bathroom is.
Wow! Poor Steven! Hope things go well for his surgery and Amanda's induction!
Tell Steven he is in our prayers and we love him. Hope he feels better.
I'm so glad she loves them! She is just TOO cute! I'm glad Steven is feeling better. Good luck with the kiddos and a recovering husband! ;)
Post a Comment