Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pizza, Pizza, nothing beats a pizza! It's my tummy's favorite!

I was going to title this post 'Quiet Time' but then I noticed that the last post was titled that. Can you tell what time of day I look forward to to help me get through the rest of the day? It's rare now a days that we have Grant and Ella napping at the same time, and Addie and Landon playing quietly. Ella's not really napping right now, but she's not fussing at me (probably because Addie is entertaining her) so I thought I'd seize the moment and blog a bit.

Steven and I have been really focusing on goals for our family. In all different aspects. One thing we decided on doing (which I think a lot of people already do) is to focus on family traditions. To make it a point to have weekly, monthly, and yearly traditions, along with the regular holiday traditions. One thing we've started is weekly pizza night. We decided to have pizza night every Monday to kick off our Family Home Evening. We are thinking of going through the phone book and trying all the different pizza places, then deciding which one is the best. This past week though, we just made our own. The kids always LOVE when we make pizza, and sing this funny little song while we do it (which is where this post title came from). Here's a few snap shots I got while we were making our pizza this week.Landon with his finished masterpiece waiting for it to go in the oven.
Steven kept tossing his dough in the air, and would try to toss it to Grant, who was laughing so hard that he had us all laughing. He thought it was especially funny when the dough would land on his head! (don't worry, we didn't end up eating that dough. It was played with too much (and visited the floor a couple times) so it ended up in the trash!)Addie LOVES playing with dough. Like, really loves it. We can't keep her out of it!

It's funny how by setting some goals for myself (and my family) has really helped my outlook. I was feeling (and still am, to be honest) VERY overwhelmed. My daily mantra is 'It could be worse. I am SO very blessed'. Logically, I know how very blessed I am. How relatively simple my life is. But when living it, it's easy to feel overwhelmed and burdened. But on Sunday Steven mentioned setting specific goals for our family. Talking with him about it, working on what our goals are going to be, and realigning our priorities has really helped my mindset a lot. It was a reminder that I'm not doing this alone. I have Steven as a support and a partner, and I couldn't have asked for a better partner. There are still moments and days when I feel like I'm being swallowed by my life. When I wake up feeling like I didn't sleep at all because of kids in my bed and kids waking up to be fed, when I feel like I work ALL day long and at the end of the day I feel like I'm farther behind than when I started, when I feel so immensely guilty for not being kind enough, patient enough, and taking more time to teach my kids the way I feel I should, and the list goes on and on and on. I'm afraid that as a mother, I'll probably always feel this way. I feel like my weakness are magnified by the job I hold, but I also know, and am coming to realize more and more, than there is no way I could become the person I need to be, or learn the lessons I need to learn if I wasn't a mom. It's hard, but so very worth it.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get off on that long rant, but Ella isn't finding Addie entertaining anymore, so I better go. My 'quiet time' is over.

4 comments:

Kathy N said...

Yes, I think every mother does feel this way sometimes, but that doesn't really make it any easier on you does it? Don't forget to take time for yourself (and don't feel guilty about it!)...that is the only way to make it through. I know I was always afraid that my kids wouldn't have any good memories of being a kid...but, oddly enough, they do! Hang in there, you are a wonderful mother!

Searls Stuff said...

Kids and pizza... a great combination!

Lace and Joe said...

Love this! I think every Monday being Pizza night is fantastic!

Candace said...

I love the picture of Grant laughing.