Last night I had a moment where my life seemed to catch up with me, and I couldn't believe where I was at. Steven is out of town for work again, so as I was getting some kids in the shower, other kids out of the bath, giving directions to kids about picking up toys, putting away book bags, and questioning them on whether they put their bikes away, if Landon ever found his lunchbox he lost last week, and asking Addie if she'd done her reading for the day yet, I happened to catch my reflection in the living room mirror and all of a sudden it hit me.
I AM A MOM. I have become MY mom!
It's funny how my whole life I have felt like mom's were so experienced and so 'all-knowing'. Yet, here I am, a mom of 4, and I don't feel that either of those words would describe me. But somehow, I'm fumbling though the job and filling the roll.
Somehow I'm sending my kids off to school, and supervising homework, grocery shopping, making dinners, telling kids to do chores, reminding kids to use manners, dealing with temper tantrums, doing babysitting swaps, and who knows what else!
How did this happen? To be honest, I'm not sure, but I am so thankful that this is where my life has landed me. I'm so thankful for the ups and downs of family life. For Steven, who I can honestly say is the PERFECT match for me. For the opportunity I have to stay home and make my family the central focus of my life. And while my life is FAR from perfect, and I'll be honest and say that there are times when I look at other people's situations and feel quite envyous (those who have no kids and have the freedom to do trips/lunch/dinner with their husbands at a moments notice; those who have older kids who can babysit for them or just be more independant; and a million other things) but, to be honest, even though sometimes my blessings are also my trials, I'm SO thankful they're mine!

2 comments:
The last 9.5 years have flew by and that's because we're having fun! You're a great momma!
Luv ya
411 pThis made me cry. I love you Sarah and you are a great example to me. You are a much better mom that I ever hoped to be. Keep going.
Post a Comment