
My good friend Katy called me last week. I was telling her how I was on my way to Walmart BY MY SELF and how rare and exciting that is. I used to HATE going anywhere by myself. I would NEVER dream of going to the store by myself. Now, it's quite the treat! Which got me thinking of ways that motherhood has changed me.
- Like I mentioned, I THRIVE on alone time. My kids go to bed around 7:30 every night. I could go to bed at that same time. But I don't. I could do housework to get caught up, but I don't. I sit around and read. I play on the computer. I watch TV. I sew. I do things that are pointless and mindless until about 11:30 every night, because during that time, I'm alone!

- This is probably the opposite than other moms, but being a mom has made me want to look/dress better. Before I had kids, I was TOTALLY fine wearing my pajamas ALL THE TIME! I didn't have a problem wearing my pajamas to the store. Now that I'm a mom, I WANT to get dressed and look presentable. I'm not saying I always do, but I want to. I think it's because it's one aspect in my life that I feel like I can have control over (and secretly, I don't want people to be able to tell by looking at me that I'm over my head in just about every aspect of my life!)

- I have NEVER EVER wanted to succeed so badly as I do at being a mother. I can't imagine a single thing I'd rather be the best at than being the best mother.

- I pray WAY more as a mom than I did before I had kids. Which is odd, because before I had kids I never missed my (nightly) prayers and scripture reading. Now, I struggle and go through ups and downs of being consistent at them. But I find myself saying little prayers all day long. It's my only hope of giving my kids the mom and life they deserve.

- I've always been an emotional person. In college I was a social work major. I'm not sure why, because I would just cry during the classes hearing the stories and situations. But now, as a mom, I feel I am much more compassionate.

- Being a mom has made me more aware. I used to live in a bubble and wanted it that way. In some ways, I still do, but now I see my sweet little kids and feel like everything in the world impacts them, and it is up to be to be aware of what's out there, and how to protect them from it!

- Poop doesn't gross me out too bad anymore. I have a VERY weak stomach. There are certain things that I just couldn't handle before I had kids. Now, I could clean poop off the wall and although I will still gag, it's doable. It just isn't as toxic and gross as it used to be. Not proud of that, but true.
- I sneak food. I will sit in the laundry room to eat my breakfast to avoid having to share it with little mouths that ate their breakfast 20 minutes before. Once again, not proud of it, but true.

- I love this guy more now that I'm a mother and he's a father.
- And of course, THE STRETCH MARKS!!
Okay, this is long enough, and I'm sure there is MUCH more I could add to the list if I wasn't tired and trying to watch Biggest Loser while I'm typing it, but it will have to do for tonight!
5 comments:
The 'poop' one amazes me. You use to gag when I changed YOUR diapers and you were less than a year old. That's funny!
REmember all the poop we had to clean up at he early morning job? Do you think that wouldn't be as gross to you? I think adult poop is still gag worthy, but baby poop had never really bothered me.
Thank you for posting this. That was beautiful!!
All people have experiences that change them. Aren't we lucky that being a mom is one of ours? Sweet post.
Sarah, I loved this post. I miss you guys so much.
Post a Comment