Saturday, November 13, 2010

INTRODUCING:

ELLA KATHRYN HARWARD

She was born on November 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm. She weighed in at 8 pounds 10 1/2 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long. She is perfect in every way. She is adored by everyone in our family (even Grant, and I was skeptical if he would even acknowledge her, let alone like her).Everything went well with the birth. I'd have to say it was my most painful birth so far, but luckily, my epidural worked well for the most part, so I feel like I don't have much to complain about. I was on pitocin for a good while before they broke my water, but once the doctor broke my water the contractions started coming FULL FORCE! I wasn't quite prepared for just how hard and painful they would be with all that pitocin going. Luckily I had a great nurse, my WONDERFUL husband, and my very supportive and knowledgeable mom there to help. Also, luckily for me, the nurse ordered the epidural before I asked for it, so I only had to suffer through the pain for about 45 minutes.My epidural worked great on one side, but only about half way on the other side. But after the contractions I was having, I was so relieved to only be feeling half the contractions on half of my body. I was able to rest for about an hour before my body was very forcefully telling me that it was time to push. With the first three kids my epidural always worked to the point where I could tell it was time to push, but it wasn't ever an uncontrollable urge. This time, the urge was so strong that it was quite uncomfortable (and by 'quite', I mean VERY). We waited for just a bit for the doctor to get there and get ready, then after about 2 1/2 or 3pushes she was here.Like I said, it was my most painful birth, but I'm aware it could have been MUCH worse, so I have nothing to complain about. I really and honestly can not understand why someone would want to do this naturally. I'm not sure I could have lasted through much more than 45 minutes of those terrible contractions. Then again, I'll be the first to admit that I don't like pain and will avoid it if at all possible. At any rate, it was all worth it. Ella is here and healthy. We've been working hard to decide on a name for the past 24 hours. I wanted to name her Kathryn, but all night last night I kept calling her Kathryn, and it just didn't seem to fit. So, I went onto our next choice, Ruby. I was calling her Ruby for the second half of the night, and it seemed to fit better, but still didn't seem natural. Today we thought of the name Ella, and both liked it, and it seems to fit her well. Of course, I was totally fine with it, until we put it on the birth certificate, and then I started second guessing it. But, it fits her, so we'll keep it. So, that's the story of our little Ella. We couldn't be happier!!

22 comments:

Kathy said...

LOVE the name!! She is so cute and you did so great. Don't let anyone tell you you aren't the most amazing thing going right now. You are a great mom and I know Ella was excited to come to your family. I love you!!

Gigi said...

Congratulations Sarah! Ella is beautiful! (I think she looks like Addie in the picture where her hair is wet, but what do I know?) And you look fantastic! By the way, I'm not a girl who likes pain either; good job!

Brandon and Aubrey said...

Oh Sarah, I am so happy to hear that everything is great with sweet little Ella. I had the same thing happen when I was delivering Dallin...only one side of the epidural worked...I can totally relate to what you went through. I hope the recovery for you will be easy to make up for the more painful labor!

The Asays said...

Congrads. She is beautiful as is the name Ella, I love it!

Katy Wilson said...

I'm so happy for you! I am realy excited that you spelled it Kathryn because when Steven texted everyone first saying you had her he said "Ruby Katherine" and I was worried... No proper person spells it Katherine. Except my grandmother...but that's not her fault.

I wish I could be there and am sad you'll be in Nauvoo for Thanksgiving!

tacy said...

Congratulations! She is amazing!

Amanda said...

Oh, she is just so precious. I love her already. I'm so happy for you guys, just sad I'm not there to enjoy her also!

Kayli said...

YAY! Congrats! I also think Ella looks just like Addie.
That's crazy that you came up with the name sort of last minute. Awesome.
Best wishes for the next little crazy while.

Amanda said...

Bennett: "Can Ella be my cousin mom?"

Amanda said...

Maya: "That's a great new cousin, and they're gonna have a great new cousin too cause of our baby. But I wish we were gonna have a girl and they would have a boy."

Leah said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and I have to say that you looked fantastic in that last preggo picture! So glad things went well and that all are healthy! So sorry about the whole faulty epidural thing-I am totally with you-pain meds are how I like to go!
Wish I could make you a meal or watch the kids or something!

Rachael said...

Congratulations! What a little darling.

And I must say, the single birth I had with pitocin-induced contractions was a nightmare! So don't feel like you're the only one who found those to be absolutely unthinkably awful without an epidural. :-)

Searls Stuff said...

That is one beautiful Harward baby! Congratulations to the family.

Zarsky Family said...

Congrats! We are so happy for you guys. Ella is a wonderful name for a beautiful girl! Great job Sarah :)

Dani said...

Yay! She's adorable. We miss you guys.

Steph said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful!! Way to go!

Melissa said...

Oh she is so cute! And I love the name! Miss you guys

Lace and Joe said...

I love the picture with Ella and Addie. She looks like a very proud big sister. So cute.

Karen Peckinpaugh said...

Yay, Yay, Yay!!! New babies are so exciting! Ella looks like she just belongs in your family.

Sympathy for the tough contractions - My first labor I had to take Pitocin, and that was so very horrifying that I truly thought I would never have another baby!

Love your pics! And those adorable hats :) Hope to see her in person soon!

Candace said...

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Look how long your hair is?!? I LOVE it!!! I LOVE your new baby girl...and her name! They are both so beautiful!! I have missed talking to you so much! You look like you are adjusting really well, except for the sick kiddos (yuck)! You are so amazing! Love ya
-melissa tate

Lindsay said...

So So happy I ran into your blog. What a beautiful baby. I the name too. Congrats so late, but she is as sweet as can be. I also can't believe everyone that has caught up with us. Soon you all will be catching the Hernandez family.