Saturday, November 6, 2010

Stuff

So, here's a picture of the living room set Steven brought home yesterday.And here's why I'm not convinced I'm going to love this new furniture.You see, motherhood gives you new eyes. I could have told you, before we had these in our house, that they would not be a good fit for our family. Because all the cushions and pillows come off. We did make a rule today that anyone caught taking any pillows or cushions off the couches or chair will be grounded for a week from anything in the house with a screen (TV, computer, or DS). I think that punishment will be enough to keep them from doing it again (fingers crossed).

This morning while laying in bed wishing I could go back to sleep, but couldn't because I was too uncomfortable, I was thinking of all the things I wanted to get done today. I decided I would make up a list of things the kids needed to do today. Most of it was cleaning up their room, but broken down into different jobs. I decided to make it not seem so much like a boring chore chart I'd throw in some fun or silly things. So among the put away clothes, put stuffed animals in chest, and pick up 10 things and put them where they go, there was also eat one piece of candy (which let me tell you, they thought was the greatest thing EVER), run around the outside of the house 3 times, and dance to a silly song. They loved it so much they they got their room clean (which was amazing, because it was quite the wreck) but tonight when Landon was going to bed he asked if I could PLEASE make him another chore list for tomorrow. I told him probably not tomorrow, because it was Sunday. He then begged if he could have a list every day except Sunday. I hesitantly agreed to it (playing the old Tom Sawyer 'white washing the fence' role).

While the kids were doing their chores though, we discovered that someone had gotten my credit card number and had made a $50 purchase. So we then spent a good chunk of the morning at the bank, trying to get that cleared up. Bleck, it was not fun. Afterwards though, we did get some things done around the house. Hopefully next week will prove to be just as productive!

Tonight Steven and I went to a wedding of an old coworker of his. It wasn't too bad. The ceremony was short, and the reception was kind of long, but overall pretty fun. There was one guy who Steven used to work with who got a bit tipsy pretty early in the night. At least 3 different times he came up to me and said 'You must be Sarah. It's so good to FINALLY meet you. You must be amazing because Steve thinks the world about you. He thinks you're the greatest thing ever...' Each time he would forget that we had met just about 10 minutes before. Everyone at our table got quite the kick out of it (he also told Steven to stop getting me pregnant because '...she wants a break for crying out loud!' Everyone at our table thought that was pretty funny too). It does make me curious how I'm brought up and what is said about me to people he works with. This is the second or third time that I've had someone from his work tell me similar things. Steven said that he isn't sure what's said, because he can't really remember talking about me much, but he'll take credit for saying anything nice.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take advantage of this extra hour of sleep I'm supposed to be getting tonight because of day light savings and head off to bed (too bad my kids won't know it's day light savings in the morning when they wake up!).

7 comments:

Sophie Caroline said...

What a DARLING idea for the chore chart. Did you come up with that on your own or did you read about that somewhere? Mom loved the idea. :)

Katy Wilson said...

The furniture is cute...but I can see how the cushions would be a problem for little kids. We just bought a new couch...right before we got married...it's a big sectional where all the seats have a footrest that can flip up...and can I tell you that 2 of the 4 footrests are already broken? Teenagers...

I do like the idea of the chore chart...good thing to keep in mind when there are kids younger than 12 around here!

Kathy said...

WHAT ABOUT THE HATS?????

Kayli said...

I think your living room set looks great! And as long as they don't take off the cushions CONSTANTLY, and you can get them to put them away again after (I know-big if's), it should be fun! I always loved jumping from cushion to cushion on the floor playing 'can't touch the ground.'
And I too must say great idea for the chore chart. Great GREAT idea! I'll have to do it too.

And that's perty funny about the guy always coming up and introducing himself. That's so sweet that Steven says nice things about you.

Amanda said...

What about the craft fair? you didn't say a word about it and I'm dying to know how it went.

Searls Stuff said...

I think piling pillows up is a blast! But the, I only do it when the grand kids are visiting. It would probably be different if I had to clean them up every day. But, on the bright side, the furniture is a nice neutral color and should easily provide you all with comfortable seating.

La Familia Gutierrez said...

We almost bought a sectional like that, but I had to veto it because of the whole pillows everywhere thing!!!