Monday, March 16, 2009

Exciting Stuff

We had a pretty good weekend. Friday something exciting happened. I had to take the kids to the doctor and Steven had bagpipe lessons (a dream come true for my handsome husband). I told him that we should be done with the doctor around noon, so to meet us at Chick-Fil-A and we'd do lunch there. As luck would have it, I didn't even get called back into the doctors office until noon, so we didn't make it out of there until about one. Of course, there was no way for me to let Steven know that. Because we, in fact, were the only ones living our lives in the early 20th century still, and still cell phone-less. I drove to Chick-Fil-A after our apts to see if by chance Steven was still there. Of course, he wasn't. So I drove through and got the kids a kids meal. When we got home, Steven wasn't there either. Finally after about an hour and a half I got a phone call from Steven announcing that he had moved our family into the 21st century and bought cell phones!! So, we can now get a hold of each other when needed. Oh boy was I excited and relieved. This was the second time in about a month that we've had some sort of mix up and one person ended up waiting for an hour on the other person, only to both end up and home and not doing the thing we were going to meet up for (the first time was when I waited at the mall for over and hour for him after work, and he missed his ride to the mall, so he ended up at home, but I didn't know that, so I continued waiting at the mall. But that's just a repeat, because I wrote about that a couple weeks ago.) Anyway, needless to say I feel fancy now that I have a cell phone.
My kids playing the Playstation while waiting to see the doctor.

Saturday was a day of striking out. We decided to take the kids to the free matinee of Madagascar 2. When we all woke up (which was a bit too early for me, because all three kids ended up in our bed. When I woke up I had Grant on one arm, Addie on the other, and Landon was using my stomach as a pillow. So, needless to say, I didn't sleep the best being pinned down by my kids like that) I told the kids that dad would make waffles for breakfast if we hurried and cleaned their room and the living room (which was a mess from the late night we had before). After breakfast, we hurried over to the movie theater, only to find out that they were sold out. No more tickets for the free matinee. Strike 1! The kids were bummed, but Steven told them we'd go see Brother Malcolm (the old man who teaches Steven Bagpipe lessons) and the kids were happy about that, because Brother Malcolm always has candy for the kids. However, Brother Malcolm wasn't home when we got to his house. Strike 2! We then decided to get our oil changed, which needed to be done, so we did some grocery shopping at Walmart while our oil was being changed. While we were there, Casey (my brother-in-law) called us, which he could do, because we now have cell phones (YEAH!) and asked us if we wanted to take the kids to ride go-carts with him. We told him we'd meet him there, however, on our way there, Casey called to say it looked like the place had gone out of business. Strike 3! We told the kid we would go to 'Dogs N Suds' for lunch (a hot dog place in town) and they were happy about that, until we realized they only take cash, and we only had $4, and we couldn't go to the ATM because we left our debit cards at home and we only had a check. Strike 4! So we all went home and took naps after lunch which was much needed.
This picture of Grant cracks me up. It looks like he's a sumo wrestler bowing to his competition before he attacks them. What a cute kid!

One last thing, Casey found out this weekend that he got accepted to Harvard for graduate school!! We are so excited for him! What an accomplishment to see all that hard work pay off. We're sad that it's so far away, but couldn't be prouder of him. Way to go Casey!!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to call my wonderful husband to see how his day is going, because I can, because we have cell phones now!

5 comments:

Searls Stuff said...

You know there is a funny thing about cell phones. You have to remember three things: 1) always take it with your 2) have the ring set so you can hear it, and 3) keep it turned on. I have been guilty of NOT doing one or more of the above and it drives Uncle Ron crazy. He is forever saying, "What good is a cell phone if you don't use it properly!"
I know having one will give you peace of mind and an added sense of security so enjoy!

Lake said...

I can't imagine life without a cell phone. Truthfully, Mark probably wishes I didn't call and text him so much. Bugging your husband is one of life's great joys.

Katy Wilson said...

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
also...I bookedmy flight for the reunion. I fly in Friday night and then I fly out monday night. You also need to learn how to text...that is important. Then, I can send you my random thoughts I have every day that I think "I need to tell Sarah that" unless texting isn't included in your plan, then I won't text you cause it's dang expensive if it's not included.

tacy said...

Harvard!?! That is AMAZING! Welcome to the 21st century Sarah! We've been waiting for you.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine living without a cell phone now days. I didn't get mine until just over 3 years ago. It took me a long time to finally decide to do it. Now I cant go witout it! I can't wait to se eyou in a few weeks!