Monday, March 23, 2009

Why is it?

Why is it that men and women are so different? Really, why? Let me give a couple examples. It might surprise some people to find out that I can be a bit feisty (okay, really, if that surprises anyone, they really must not know me very well). Steven, is as far from feisty as you can get (most of the time). Sunday I really wanted to take a nap. Steven had a headache so he laid down on the guest bed while the kids and I had lunch. I then took the kids upstairs and thought I'd take a little nap while letting them color their HUGE coloring pages they got on Saturday. Little did I know that those giant coloring pages would be SUPER loud when my kids were sitting, standing, rolling, jumping, and who knows what else, on them. So, I sent the kids into the bathroom to color (hoping I'd be more successful at napping). Finally, they were semi-quiet. Of course, that's the time that Grant woke up and decided to fuss for about 10 minutes. When he calmed down, the other two were being loud again. Anyway, after over an hour of me TRYING to nap, I was pretty grumpy. Steven came upstairs and, being the loving wife that I am, I said in a very loving tone (not really) 'How was your nap? Good, I hope! I've been up here with these kids, who REFUSE to be quite while you've been sleeping the day away'. What did Steven do when I irrationally went off? He smirked at me and said 'Really?' Did he get defensive? Nope. Did he roll his eyes and pout at my mean tangent? Not at all. If the roles had been reversed I would have gone off on why I needed that nap I just took and how it's part of parenting to not be able to nap when our children are awake.
Another example, because that first one wasn't long enough. Tonight Steven was talking with his mom on the phone. He was eating popcorn, kind of watching TV and mumbling to his mom while she was on speaker phone. He wasn't really participating in the conversation and he wasn't asking the questions I thought he should be asking. When he finally got off the phone I said (and I'm not proud of this) 'Really? You need to be more polite to your mom. Your sitting there stuffing your face with popcorn and mumbling to her and she can't hardly understand you, and you're not really participating in the conversation just listening and mumbling. And you keep wiping your buttery and chocolaty (because we put raisinettes in our popcorn) popcorn fingers all over our cream colored bedspread!!' Steven looked at me, tried not to laugh and said 'Are you by any chance on your period?' I couldn't help but laugh and realize that I reacted a bit irrationally. He's a good man...Also, why is it that my four year old boy so argumentative? I fight all day long to get Landon to wear clothes. He would much rather be naked. Tonight, after Landon got out of the bath, I kept telling him to put his pajamas on. He kept finding other things to do. He was just running around in his underwear. So, when bed time came, Landon got put to bed in just his undies. Because he likes to find every excuse he can find to not go to bed, he laid in bed saying 'MOM! I need my pajama's on' I told him that he should have obeyed when I told him to put them on, but because he chose not to obey, he would have to sleep without pajamas. Now, you would think that Landon, who loves to be naked, would be fine without clothes on, but no, he had to keep yelling to me that he needed pajamas. See, argumentative. When I say wear clothes he wont, when I say you don't need clothes, he complains. I can't win with this kid.And why is it that little girls are so sassy? Addie is about as sassy as they come. Tonight, as Landon lay in bed telling me he needed pajamas, Addie kept repeating him. "Mom, he need pajamas!" "Mom, Wandon is cold-y!" Finally Steven says 'Landon and Addie, go to sleep' Addie says 'You shush Daddy!' WHAT?! I guess after my examples of my own behavior, I'm retracting my question about why little girls are sassy. I'm afraid I'm to blame.And last by not least, why is it that laundry is never ending? I'm so sick of laundry I could scream!!Sorry this post was so long. My mom was complaining that I haven't updated, so I got a bit carried away. This is for you mom!

2 comments:

tacy said...

I have giant coloring pages!! Little mermaid ones nonetheless

Kathy said...

Thanks Sarah!! I love you and I think that you could really make money off of your blog!! Your write so well..... Erma Bombeck make a killing writing books for moms about the oddities of motherhood. You are the next Erma Bombeck!! Check into it.