A couple of years ago, my mom and sisters and I decided to start a tradition. We decided that once a year we would get together at my moms house, without any children (the only exception being nursing babies) to craft and spend time together all weekend long. We each plan one (or two) craft(s), then when we're together we do all the crafts. We go out for breakfast. We stay up WAY too late talking, we make yummy treats, we do whatever we want, whenever we want, and aren't dictated by anyones snacking and napping schedules other than our own. It's seriously bliss!
Well, this past weekend was our scheduled Craft Weekend. I was going to leave Thursday afternoon and come home Sunday afternoon. Well, wouldn't you know it, but Steven woke up sick Thursday morning. As a bit of back history, about a month ago Steven started getting sick (after having been on an antibiotic for a tooth, then another antibiotic for a different infection). It took about 2 1/2 weeks for them to realize that he had C-Diff (which is basically where all the good bacteria is killed off and the bad bacteria runs a nasty muck in your stomach and bowels...NOT FUN!) They finally figured out what was going on after just about 3 weeks of misery for the poor guy. He finished his medication for it earlier in the week, but by Thursday, all the nasty miserable symptoms were back. He'd been up in the night being sick and was just getting worse as the day went on. We called into the doctor, who said they'd have to test again for it, even though they knew that's what it was, but we wouldn't know the results until Friday, and then they could put him on a stronger medication.
As a result (and excuse me while I sound self-absorbed and greedy) I wasn't able to go to Craft Weekend. Oh man, I don't think I've been that devastated and disappointed in a REALLY long time (if ever). I had been counting down the hours till when I could drive for 3 hours BY MYSELF listening to the book I had downloaded, spend 3 glorious days with my mom and sisters, get some fun crafts done, and come home feeling renewed. I'm not going to lie, I cried (like ugly-can't-talk-in-a-normal-octave-cry) about it. Every time I would think about it, I would tear up. Luckily for me, my mom and sisters were super understanding and willing to move Craft Weekend to this next weekend, so I still get to go. But, man oh man, was I ever bummed!! I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now (and luckily {and more importantly} Steven is on a much stronger prescription and is also feeling much better. So much so, that the wonderful man spent almost the entire day yesterday doing to some deep cleaning around here, without me having to ask him to do any of it! {I kind of think maybe he was feeling guilty about my disappointing weekend...}). Only 89 more hours...then I'll been in the car, by myself, listening to my book, on the way to one of the best weekends of the year!!
2 comments:
Hope you have a wonderful time with your "peeps":) this coming weekend!!
Jealous of the craft weekend...but so very happy you got it re-scheduled! One of these years I'm going to invite my self to your weekend and crash the party!
Post a Comment