Sunday, February 9, 2014

Christmas Eve

Christmas eve of 2013 is one we're sure to remember. Grandma and Grandpa (Steven's parents) were able to come out for a week at Christmas this year. We were SO excited to get to spend Christmas with them. Steven and his dad remodeled our upstairs bathroom, which ended up being a full week project. But while they worked away, the rest of us had a great time with Grandma! Oh, how we wish she could live closer!! Heck, we'd love for her to just move in and live with us!! 
We made some 'Ninja Bread Men' cookies. I thought they were so fun and cool! The boys thought they were SUPER awesome. And we decorated a Gingerbread house (which, I'll have to search for a picture of...).
I had warned the kids that if they didn't get along (we were all going stir crazy from the cold temperatures that have plagued us this winter) then they wouldn't be able to open the traditional Christmas eve gift. Wouldn't you know it that Landon and Addie would get into a HUGE fight (the likes of which we've never seen before! Hitting, saying 'I hate you' (which is totally NOT allowed in our house)). So they were not allowed to open their Christmas eve gift which was super sad. 
Grandma had been to the store earlier for some last minute things and found some 'coal' for the older kids. We thought it might ease the situation some if we wrapped the coal, and they would still get to open something, but it wouldn't be anything good. As a reminder that they needed to behave so they could earn the privileges that come along with being in our family.
Ella was THRILLED with her new pajamas (or as Grant used to say, so now we all say 'Jamenas'). She's a bit obsessed with pajamas, like, that's all she'll wear (unless she can wear a frilly fancy dress, then she'll gladly change out of pjs).
Grant was pretty excited too!!
See, pure joy and excitement right there!!
So handsome!
Landon and Addie thought at first that we were going to forget about the punishment for their big fight.
But once they saw the coal, the realized that we were going to be sticking to our guns.
(pardon the grainy ipod picture!) and they were not happy about it!! I felt TERRIBLE! I usually consider myself someone who does a pretty good job at sticking with things I say I'm going to do (in regards to my kids). So, not letting them open the gift, wasn't a big deal to me. We had warned them, they knew the consequences, and they didn't obey. However, the fact that I felt like we were making fun or them, or teasing them by giving them the coal, made me feel horrible! We were able to explain to the kids that it was supposed to be a bit of a gag gift, and we didn't mean for them to feel like we were rubbing their mistake in their faces. But I think they learned a valuable lesson, and I really hope they'll remember it so we won't have to repeat it again!
After reading the Christmas story in the bible we tucked the kids in while visions of sugarplums (or coal...) danced in their heads.

1 comment:

Kayli said...

Oh my gosh!!! Their sad little faces!!! That's kindof awesome, in a sad-for-them way. (Know what I mean? Just that their faces are so sad it's funny.)