| Look at little Addie! (pic taken in 2010) |
Homework is zero fun. I swear that my kids take turns making homework miserable for me. The time I feel like the biggest failure as a mom is when I'm trying to stay patient while helping my kids with homework. I notice that they give up too easily, and realize I should teach them to stick with things. I notice that they get distracted and won't stay focused, and realize I should direct them better so they can focus better. I notice that they get angry about having to do things they don't want to, and I realize that I need to develop a better work ethic in them. I mean, really, it's bad. And unpleasant. And totally Un-fun!
Never having personal space (physically and mentally) is really no fun. I feel so jealous of Steven's commute into work. I mean, really. How pathetic is that? I feel jealous that he get's to be in a car, without children talking to him for a little bit every day. Oh, to have the mental clarity of thinking something without kids interrupting your thoughts. To sit, and not be touched, or demanded of. It just sounds like the most perfect thing ever. I stay up WAY to late at night, because I feel like if I don't get some personal time I might go completely crazy. However, I am always tired because I don't allow myself to get enough sleep. No fun!
It's no fun at all to feel the anxiety I feel about trying to raise these precious children to be responsible happy adults. I have no clue if how I'm parenting is the right way. I have no clue if I'm doing more good or more harm. I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing, and I'm sick of feeling like I'm winging it.
I might sound like the worst mom ever, but I don't think it's very fun playing with my kids. Playing Uno with Grant during quiet time is not fun. He likes it, but I'd much rather read my book. Playing super heros? Not fun. Playing barbies or polly pockets? Not fun. I do it because they want me to, not because I enjoy it a ton. And the mother guilt always tells me that if I were a good mom, I'd love playing with them. But to be honest, playing Barbies was so 25 years ago.
But for some odd reason I do get a lot of joy out of my life. I am so thankful that I get to stay home with them so I can experience life with them. I'm grateful to have a husband who values what I do. I'm grateful to know the eternal importance of what I do. And while it's not fun, and I get very frustrated, and feel unappreciated by these little people who control my life, I do get a lot of joy out of being a mom. And wouldn't want to do anything else (most of the time). And I guess that's the point in life. To find joy. And I've found it.
3 comments:
Oh Sarah...I feel like I could have written this post too! It is HARD WORK turning little baby blobs into compassionate, hard-working, intelligent people!! But you are doing such an amazing job--your kids are so sweet and fun. I was always really impressed by how polite and well-behaved they were when we did date night swaps. And Landon & Addie were so good at keeping an eye on Ella and comforting her when she started asking for you!
Sarah, from what I've heard from your husband at work and read on your blog, you are a wonderful mom. When I was reading this all I could think of is my "husband" at home raising our daughter. He has said the exact same things to me. I think it's completely normal for you to feel this way. You're doing a great job. Your kids will turn out to be wonderful adults. I only wish I could "mom" 1/2 as good as you. Seriously. :)
Sarah, My sentiments exactly. Thank you!
Post a Comment