Monday, February 22, 2010

Family Night

I love Monday nights! Every Monday night we have Family night, and the kids are at a really fun age for it right now. We start off every family night by saying 'Welcome to the Harward Family Home EVENING! YEAHHHHHHHH!!" and we all cheer. Dorky and cheesy, I know, but the kids LOVE it and it really sets a fun mood for the night. Grant is at a cute age where he especially loves it when we do our little intro. This is him saying 'YEAH' and flapping and flailing his arms!

And there are times, as a parent, when you see your kids do little things, things that other people wouldn't even notice, that make you so proud and full of love that you think you're going to burst. It's funny how sometimes, it's just slowing down enough to listen to their ramblings and realizing how big they're getting. Tonight Landon did our lesson for Family Night. I just had to document it for in the future, when I forget what life was like at this stage! He got sick Saturday night, so Steven stayed home with him yesterday during church. While Addie and I were at church Steven helped Landon plan a lesson for tonight's family night. The lesson was on Prophets. About how Heavenly Father has led those who loved him by having Prophets on the earth. Abraham, Moses, Noah, etc. Landon talked mainly about Modern day Prophets (we believe that God still speaks to us through living Prophets, just as he did in biblical times). He did a great job. He dressed up like Joseph Smith (the first prophet of this dispensation) and told us why prophets are so important and why we should listen to and follow the prophet. He and Steven did such a great job!(he chose his own costume. His church shirt and pants with this hat, it was cracking me up!)

Afterwards, he played 'Follow the Prophet' on the CD player and marched around the room with everyone (well, except me, because I was taking pictures) following behind (you know, following the prophet).Addie then led the music for our closing song and they did such a great job singing it! I'm amazed at how well they can sing and remember the words!We closed the night with ice cream sandwiches (well, Landon and Addie did at least). It was a fun night and I'm excited for future Family Nights when the kids are teaching (next week is Addie...should be interesting...).

4 comments:

Lace and Joe said...

Beautiful!!! That is so wonderful, thank you for sharing that with me.

Rob said...

Hahaha, oh how I would love to be there for Addie's lesson. Nothing. But. Rambles.

Leah said...

I love it when kids get into these traditions that we start! And I think that is a great way to start FHE. We always finish by singing 'Williamsons Forever', a song that Chris' family made up when he was about 12. It now has 2 verses.

Amanda said...

It looked like your huge living room mirror, if you didn't know it, looks like a huge flatscreen tv. Poor grammer, sorry.
I can't think of how to fix above sentence so i'll move on.
Porter told me he hates follow the prophet because it has way to many verses, and in reality, it truly does, it goes on for at least 8 minutes. Come on, who has that kind of attention span anyways. All I can say is (picture Tevya) "Tradition, Tradition!"
-casey