Friday, November 22, 2013

Relief Society Quarterly Activity Coordinator...

See that title? It's quite the mouthful! But, it's my calling. In our church, no one is paid for serving in the church. So, every person is asked at different times to help in different areas. My job (currently) is to plan a meeting (party!) once a quarter for all the women at church (roughly 50-75 women). I have to admit, I REALLY love it. I have a great committee of women who make it not only easy, but fun to put these together!

Last night we had our activity for November. It was a little stressful because Steven is out of town for work, which meant that I had to set up, and be there early, and help everything go smoothly, without his help. Luckily I was able to get a babysitter so I didn't have to have the kids there, so it all worked out!

In sticking with a thanksgiving type of theme, our theme was "Because I Have Been Given Much, I too Must Give". We focused on counting our blessings and being grateful, and serving others. I felt like the night went off really well. The decorations were planned (and made) by a girl on our committee, and I was so happy with how they turned out. I thought the twigs with tissue paper flowers on them were adorable! (pictures below courtesy of Melanie Keene). We started off with dinner (soups, salad, and bread) and then had a beautiful musical number by a very talented couple in our ward. After that the ladies went to two classes. One on 'Because I have been Given Much' (gratitude and seeing the hand of the Lord in our daily lives) and the second one was on 'I too must give' (on service and helping others in need).

We also collected things to give to a local shelter for families in need. We were able to collect family night kits. To encourage families to make their family a priority and to spend quality time together. It was so amazing to see the huge response we got. Such wonderful generous women!
We ended the night with two chocolate fountains (which were, not surprisingly, a HUGE hit). We had some delicious strawberries, brownie bites, pound cake, marshmallows and raspberries to dip in.

I don't typically post about the different activities that we do. I'd hate for it to look like I'm trying to get credit or attention for serving in this way. However, one of the classes was about being grateful, and one thing that was mentioned in that class as that, usually, for us to be grateful, we need to remember. I want to be able to look back and remember what I was busy with during this time in my life. And I am very grateful for the wonderful women that I get to work with, and I want to remember that!

No comments: