I'm going to have to wait to put pictures up once we get home, but I thought I'd at least write a quick update before then. We're in Nauvoo right now, and we're having a great time (as usual). My best friend Katy is moving to Arizona next weekend, so I'm excited we got to come and see her, and I've tried to help her pack, but it usually just ends up with me sitting there talking to her, while she packs. Oh well.
On Tuesday, before we came to Nauvoo, I was going to take my kids to the library. We had some books and 'The Incredibles' DVD that were SUPER over due. Well, we looked all over the place and couldn't find the DVD anywhere. So, in my attempt to teach Landon to rely on the Lord, I told him that we needed to pray and ask Heavenly Father for help. So, we knelt down and asked Heavenly Father to help us find the DVD. When we were done praying I told Landon that we needed to do our part now, and look again for the DVD. He stood up, and started looking out the window then he said 'Mom, he's not coming'. I asked him who he was talking about and he then told me that Heavenly Father wasn't at our house so he can't help us find the movie. I tried to explain to him that when we are making good choices the Holy Ghost can help us. We can't see the Holy Ghost, but it is always there to guide us. And sometimes it's just a feeling, and sometimes we might actually hear something, but we can't see him. So Landon and I split up and proceed to search for the DVD. After a few minutes I heard him say, 'HOLY GHOST! WHERE ARE YOU?!' I asked him what he was doing and he said that he was looking for the Holy Ghost. I told him, again, that we can't see the Holy Ghost, but he can still help us. Then a bit later I hear Landon say 'I FOUND IT!' When I asked him if he found the dvd, he came out of the room, with his hands behind his back, and said, 'Not, not the movie, I found the Holy Ghost!' Then he pulled a stuffed butterfly out from behind his back. I told him that wasn't the Holy Ghost, and he said 'Well, it's just a butterfly pretending to be the Holy Ghost, now can we go to the library?'
Poor kid was SO confused about the whole 'Holy Ghost helping us' thing, I think I may have done more harm than good. Eventually, I remembered that we had the movie in my parents car when they were up last weekend for Steven's Graduation, and so I called and asked my mom if we left it there. She told me that we did, so once again, in an attempt to teach my kids that prayers are answered, I told Landon 'See, the Holy Ghost did help us. It helped us remember that the last time we watched it was in Nana's car, and we left it in there, so we found it' He was like 'Why is the Ghost in Nana's car?' After that, I just gave up...
3 comments:
Thanks for updating. I was feeling a little left out with you guys in Nauvoo and Malerie visiting Amanda. You guys can't get me hooked on this blogging thing and then leave me, it isn't like I have tons of friends to check out.
Poor Landon! I'm glad you're having a fun time.
That is so cute!! I just love that boy. teaching concepts like that to kids are really hard, but i think that you are going a good job. You're a great mom.
Post a Comment