Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dinner Theater- Youth Fund Raiser

This weekend was our wards Dinner Theater. We've been doing these for the past several years as the fund raiser for the youth. This year I was assigned to help with the decorations. We were able to involve the youth a lot more this year than they have been in the past, which was good (and bad. Why is it that it's more work for you to delegate and make assignments to the youth than just doing it yourself?) Steven and I went to watch it last night and it was so fun! It's amazing how much time and work goes into this! The food was amazing!! The cast members were so funny and cute. It's fun to see ward members out of their comfort zone and so willing to put so much work into this for the youth!! Here's some pictures I snapped after we were done decorating.

This was where people checked in. When they checked in they got a name badge with a made up name and a picture on it from the 1980's. The theme of the dinner theater was a high school reunion for the class of 1984. The name tags turned out so cute thanks to our YW secretary and her husband.The 'reunion guests' first went into a 'commons area'. Where there was a school store...A photo area, where guests could dress up in '80's attire and get their pictures taken.A trophy case with trophy's and photo-shopped pictures of the cast members on celebrity faces (a man in our ward was 'Nick Nixon' (a.k.a. Richard Nixon) and that's his face photo shopped on Richard Nixon's body.)There was also the school band (a few of the youth) playing the school fight song as well as a slide show with picture of people in the ward from the '80's or photo-shopped onto peoples from the '80's.

Then we walked down the hall to get to the cafeteria. (The youth helped make lockers and posters that lined the halls.)The cafeteria was decorated in the school colors of Green and Gold. Steven was able to get us table cloths and cloth napkins from his work and I thought they looked so good. The stage and tables were what I was over. The stage was decorated to look like a Principal's office.Overall I felt like it turned out good. It was a fun night, and we were able to raise a lot of money for the Youth!!

p.s. This is totally un-related, but it's been bothering me, so I thought I'd bring it up while I was thinking about it. Today, Landon wanted to play on pbskids.org. I logged on for him, and at the bottom of the screen it said 'Parents, Discover what your child can learn from President Obama and his family'. Does it bother ANYONE else? Seriously, it makes me mad and nervous. I have NOTHING against Obama. I'll admit, I didn't vote for him, but I'm willing to support the President of the United States. However, I DO NOT want my kids exposed to this. I don't want Obama and his family to be glamorized, like they are the ultimate role models for families. During the election, someone told me that they had heard someone compare Obama to Hitler (in Hitler's beginning years). Since I heard some of that, I feel like I can kind of see it. His symbol (the hill with the red and white stripes in the background) the propaganda geared toward the kids to get them to blindly adore him, the loud shout for CHANGE (also Hitlers loud cry) and a couple others that I can't quite remember now. I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I feel like politics has NO place in my children's innocent lives yet. And as their parent, I should be the one to teach them what morals and ethics I see fit, not an easily clicked on add on pbskids.org. Okay, I could keep going, but I'm going to stop. I'm just saying I know this didn't happen when George W was voted into office (or any other President) and I'd appreciate it if it wasn't being forced upon my kids!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that I missed the dinner theatre. That is one of my favorite things that that ward does. I always look forward to it! It looks like it turned out really well...once again of course! Also, you are right, our job is to support Obama, he is our president now. BUT, he should not be glamorized to our children. They are innocent and it is our job to teach them what we want them to know about politics.

tacy said...

I agree! Politics is a dirty business and I wouldn't want my kids exposed to that yet! Sure when they get older they need to learn about it, but I totally agree with you!

Susie said...

Sarah, this is the type of role model Obama is:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/02/lesson_plans_for_change_1.html