Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stuff...

My flowers are blooming and I am SO excited!! The kids are so excited too. Every time there's a new bloom (or even the old ones) they make me come look. Addie LOVES this flower. It's her favorite. Because it looks like a ballerina. I was a bit confused until she explained 'the pink is only on the bottom like a ballerina skirt'. Ahhh...I see now.Steven brought home some daffodils for me and Addie last week. They weren't open yet, so we cut off the ends, put them in water and the next day were graced with this beautiful display in our kitchen!! Oh I LOVE daffodils!!!Even though my mom got my kids their own cameras for Christmas, I still find random pictures (like the ninja turtle) on my camera!

I've been thinking a lot lately about this whole 'healthy food' kick that society seems to be fascinated with. It seems like every time I turn around someone is talking about how unhealthy we all eat. How we should only eat this. Or never eat that. Or who knows what else. I get very overwhelmed thinking of cutting all this stuff out of our food, yet I do agree that it's very important. I start feeling guilty that I'm so sceptical and don't fully trust the stuff I read or hear enough to change. So, I stick with what I know. Cooking how I was raised. I hate that so many things regarding food 'research' are laced with different agendas. Weather it's a political agenda, animal rights agenda or what ever else! So I'm always sceptical and hesitant to buy into the hype of things. Anyway, this week I noticed a show on TV called 'Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution'. It's about a chef who goes into a town (what I watched of it, he was in the elementary school) and tries to get people to understand the importance of eating healthy. I was interested to hear what he told them. Would he require a HUGE change in every aspect of their eating? Would he require them to go to an extreme? I was very pleasantly surprised. It really put my mind at ease. I thought it was really sad that he went into a kindergarten class and had fresh vegetables laid out and not a single kid could name a single vegetable!! Potatoes, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, radish's, and other stuff I can't remember. I couldn't believe it!! My kids would probably miss eggplant, and maybe radish's (because I don't like radish's, so never buy or serve them). He also focused a ton on just doing home made foods. Not pre-made or store bought, and he really wasn't a fan of fast food (no surprise there). Anyway, whether it's right or not, I felt a lot better after watching that show. We do try to eat lower fat foods (thanks to Weight Watchers). I make pretty much all of our dinners from scratch (it's a bit ironic that I said that, today of all days, when I fed Grant a corn dog (which he gobbled up like CRAZY) today for dinner) I did think I could do better with giving my kids more variety at breakfast and lunch, but overall, I didn't feel as guilty as I thought I would. I realized that we're actually pretty balanced. Obviously there's room for improvement, but right now, I'm not going to freak out about it all. I feel better now that that's all off my chest.This is another picture that also made it's way onto my camera. While I napped in the bedroom today, Steven and the kids had some cuddle time in the living room. I guess Landon thought it was a Kodak moment, so he snapped a picture. Whatever! Anyway, that's my stuff for today!

7 comments:

tacy said...

I can't believe those kids couldn't name a vegetable! I watched Super Size Me a long time ago and they interviewed people vacationing in Washington DC and asked them to say the Pledge of Allegiance. they gave them like 5 tries and no one could do it. Then they asked them what the jingle was that went with the Big Mac Sandwich and they got it right off.

Amanda said...

Follow the Word of Wisdom and you'll be a-ok:)

Kathy said...

Funny, because I have been thinking a lot about this too. I went to Cooking with Joy and the FDA or whatever has changed (again) how they feel about eggs. We are told butter is bad (30 years ago) and now margarine is bad. Moderation in all things is the trick. I do hold a lot of stock in not eating pre-packaged foods. Good luck. We all do the best we can.

Katy Wilson said...

I wanted to watch that food revolution thing on tv, but I forgot about it till it was past...i'm going to try to catch it on the computer though...

i'm so happy you called me yesterday!! it was good to catch up...and hopefully we will be seeing each other soomer rather than later!!

Leah said...

It is funny because I feel this way about a lot of things-not just food! I always read all the links to budgeting secrets, saving money when grocery shopping, etc. And usually, (not always:) I find out that I am already doing all those 'secret' things! I know I could do better food-wise-my sweet tooth gets me every time-and my kids are picky as all get out, but really in the end I feel pretty good! Glad you do too!!

Searls Stuff said...

I am amazed that Landon's pictures always come out so good. He might be a professional photographer in the future.
That story about the veggies in Kinder didn't surprise me. You would be shocked to hear some of my students talk about their meals. Sad.

Rachael said...

I know what you mean about all the hype--a lot of times I wonder if we'll be told something different in 50 years. That's why I've decided that we'll just stick to whole foods--as unprocessed and natural as possible, because that's the way they come up out of the ground! And I figure Heavenly Father knows what he's doing. :-)