Thursday, June 23, 2011

Art-Cakes

After I do a huge shopping trip, I never feel like cooking. I always want to go out to eat, but I can't bring myself to pay for dinner when I just paid so much money for groceries! So this week, after the big shopping trip, we settled for pancakes. A while back, we got a letter from a friend of ours, Sophie, who's on a mission in Alaska. She told us about how they made pancake art once and suggested we try it with our kids. So we milked the batter down some and put it in some squirt bottles and let the kids draw pictures on the griddle with the pancake batter. They had a BLAST! Steven was a bit nervous with the kids around the hot griddle (and I must admit, he had every right to be!) But we all had a great time!Ella just watched with smiles (and screams, until we gave her little bits of pancake!)This is Landon's Superman symbol that he made.Grant got a little too close to the griddle and Steven and I both snapped at him to move, and it hurt his feelings. When he is upset about something, he'll usually pull this face and try to make himself cry. It's actually pretty funny to watch!We just might do pancakes like this every time (okay, probably not, but at least for holidays, then we can put coloring in the batter and make it all the more fun!).

3 comments:

Lace and Joe said...

What a fun idea!!!! I may have to use this sometime with somebody...love it!

Katy Wilson said...

cutest idea ever!!!!!!!

Searls Stuff said...

That is such a great idea! I can't believe I have missed out on an entire generation of art pancakes. Thank goodness for grandchildren!