Wednesday, July 30, 2008

In a FUNK...

I really love being a wife and a mom. I really truly do! Lately, however, I've been in a funk and feeling sorry for myself, and I'm not sure why. There are days when I get up and I think 'Oh, wouldn't it be nice to be Steven and to go to work for most of the day (minus the getting up at 4:00 in the morning) where people are telling you all day how great you are?' Don't get me wrong, I'm so thrilled I get to stay home with my kids, but there is this basic primitive instinct in most of us (and especially me) to feel appreciated. Let's take a QUICK and CONDENSED run through of my day, and then assess if I'm really appreciated.

I wake up between 6:30-7:30 with my kids (usually Landon) standing next to my bed with his face in mine yelling 'I'M HUNGRY! I NEED BREAKFAST NOW!!' So, I get up and get him breakfast. Usually, this includes him, and Addie, making such a mess, that I'm stuck cleaning up the cold cereal (if I'm lazy) or waffles, pancakes, biscuits, or eggs (if I'm feeling like trying to be a good mom) off the table, chairs, floor, walls, and who knows where else.

While I'm cleaning this up, they run off to make a mess somewhere else. After following them around, trying to stay caught up on all of this, I finally sit down to eat my own breakfast, which is usually shared with the kids.

I take Landon to swim lessons, only to face one fight after another because he doesn't want a certain towel I give him, or doesn't want to wear any shoes, or won't buckle his seat belt, or who knows what else. After swim lessons, lunch is pretty much a repeat of breakfast, Addie starts throwing a fit about this time, because she knows her nap is next, and she doesn't want to face that. I get her laid down, Landon and I have 'quiet time', which isn't really all that quiet most of the time.

I am asked about 500 times a day for food or drinks, to wipe bums, to play cars, read books, put on different costumes for different kids, to push them on the swing, to put on video's and who know what else, and I don't really mind doing all of that. What I do mind, or maybe I should say, what starts to wear on me, is the expectation from everyone that that's just what I'm there for. Is it noticed or appreciated when I stop what I'm doing (which usually isn't something I WANT to do, as much as something that HAS to get done) to do something else the kids don't want to wait for? Is it noticed when I got out of my way to do special things for the people in my family? I'm not sure.

Steven had a meeting at work a couple weeks ago where he was recognized as the #1 SSR at his location. He is constantly winning prizes (most of which I reap the benefit's of, like my $100 and $200 Macy's gift cards) for doing so great. He has a great customer satisfactory rating with all of his clients/customers. Oh, how I wish I could go to a meeting where people were telling me that they thought I was doing a good job. That my efforts are worth it. My kids are still a bit too young to expect too much out of them. I do get the 'Thanks for dinner mom' from them most nights. I get tons of hugs and kisses from them. But I feel like come 5:30, when I'm trying to get dinner made (if I feel like I can be that ambitious (lately this pregnancy is killing me!)) you can't tell that I've been working my tail off all day. So, I'm sure most people who would come into my house would think 'Even if there was an award ceremony for stay at home mom's, you wouldn't even be invited' and maybe that's true, but I should get something for effort.

Do I sound whiny enough? Do I sound ungrateful for the great blessings in my life (mainly my kids?) Because truly I'm not. I think the realization of having my 3rd baby at the end of this year (and supposedly on my own Birthday) is making me realize that it's going to be a LONG time before I have anything for myself (even my own birthday, and I'm not even huge on celebrating birthdays!) or even have time to myself for things I like to do, and a long time before anyone realized all the time and energy I've put into this wonderful, and sacred, job I have as a mom and wife.
Selfishly, I'm glad I have a daughter, who hopefully will one day be a mom, like myself, and realize and understand all the things mom's do for their kids. And I hope that she will be able to realize, like I do, that it's all worth it. It's not easy, that's for sure, but it's worth it. I know that.
I'm not saying my son's won't realize that, but I think it comes later for them. I see my dad now (who as far as I can remember has always respected and honored my mom's role) and see how his view of motherhood and the sacrifices that come along with it have changed since he's seeing his own daughter's going through those things. I really LOVE being a mom. I can't think of a single thing I'd rather do, nor that I feel is more important than what I do. I'd do it all over in a heart beat, and can't wait to see our family grow as we add kids to our family. I don't want to sound discouraged or disgruntled, I'm just focusing on this one not-so-appealing aspect of my job, which is probably not a problem for people who aren't so insecure that they need their ego's stroked all the time like I do.

Reading back over this, it really does sound like a big pity party, and I'm sorry about that. Just thought it might be somewhat therapeutic to get this all down so hopefully I'll get over my 'funk' and be able to tackle my mile long to-do list I have for the day. Here's to hoping it works....

p.s. sorry this is SO long!! Even if no one made it to the end, I feel better getting it all out there!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Sarah! I love your guts. I wish I was close and could take the kids and let you have some "me time." I think it is perfectly normal for every stay at home mom to feel the way you are feeling at times. When the kids are the age your kids are they can't tell you how much they appreciate you. They don't even realize what a blessing it is to have a mom stay home with them instead of putting them in daycare. I think it's not until the childfren move out on their own that they truly realize how much their parents did for them (especially if mom stayed home with them). You are doing a great job as a mom. You are helping your children discoer the world around them. You and your sister are able to spend time toether and let your kids build those bonds with their cousins That's something I never had (and still don't). I don't have a bond with my cousins and I wish I did. It's all worth it! Everyone has their "funk" days. We are all blessed but their are hard days. My roommates think that since I am engaged I should be the happiest person and should never have a "funk" day. I am VERY happy but there are times that I struggle with insecurities, sadness, struggles and worries. I hope things staRt to look up for you!
I should have just written you a message on facebook becasue this is the longest comment! Sorry.

Zarsky Family said...

The joys of little children! Lucas asked me why I didn't go to work like daddy. So I had to tell him that if I did go to work, he would have to go to daycare and so on. Then he decided he liked me staying home with him. It wasn't much, but it got me through the rest of the day. I hope the funk will be over soon. Sorry about the birthday thing too. Olivia's is 2 days before mine and I don't like that AT ALL.

joanna said...

Dearest Sarah, You have the most important job in the world!! I would say the most important job(s) go unnoticed or unrecognized, which is too bad. It's because children don't know how to set up reward systems for their moms yet. Haha.
You know, your husband wouldn't be doing so great at work if it wasn't for YOU. (THAT'S THE TRUTH!) I think men do better in life when they have good wives.
Probably the biggest challenge of being a mom is knowing that we don't get much world recognition, but the Lord keeps tick marks for us (for you, especially) for all the things we do every day that are maybe small but highly important. And every mom has a right to whine every now and then. Plus, I don't think you were whining. I'm sure you have a million moms agreeing with you right now.

joanna said...

P.S.
I don't think any mom puts their kids in day care because they WANT to. Day care is a necessity for many families. Just my 2 cents.

Candace said...

I here you Sarah. I really do understand how you feel. I even understand why you can't let yourself just complain because it feels like you are selling your family short because they are wonderful; you had to talk about the wonderful too. A friend/mom that I respect has a daughter that is very well behaved and prim and proper. I rarely attribute this to genetics, usually parenting. I judge myself against this mom all the time. She doesn't judge herself against me(I don't think so anyway). In fact, I find new people to judge myself against everyday--sometimes it sucks to find your friends' blogs.
Our perspectives are too narrow. When I broaden mine, I see the moms that I respect that are more like me in personality. I realize that space does a lot to make stuff look less like clutter. I see the things that my respected friends are doing that I am doing too. I see other things that I like about myself as a mom--those things are usually reflected in my children's eyes. I love the personalities of my children and I wouldn't trade them for certain behaviors.
One last thing, I was recently watching a weird inspirational video and it said something about living the days of your life not someone else's. But it made me pause and make a list of what I would want to look back on for my life right now. You should try making that list. It made me feel good. I did so many of the things that I wanted to be doing and others just needed to be tweaked a little.
I love you. You should call me sometime when you have a minute.

Candace said...

How appalling: I used the wrong "hear." I am thoroughly embarrassed.

Leah said...

I think those things all the time!! So glad it isn't just me, although I should probably wish better things for others:) The other comments have covered most of the good things to remember so I will just offer dinner. On one of those nights that the pregnancy is getting to you and the kids are hungry give me a call and I will deliver dinner!

Katy Wilson said...

dear sarah,

it's all been said...
i love ya...
and if i was closer i would take landon over to my big house with the stairs and the big tv and we could just hang out...
and i think if people didn't have 'pity parties' every once in a while we would spontaneously combust... and that would be gross

Rachael said...

very refreshing--all of us moms seem to feel the same way a lot of the time, don't we? it's hard work. often thankless, but the results are priceless.

Anonymous said...

hey, I found a weddind dress. I don't want Eric to see what the dress looks like (and he checks my blog) so I had to post pictures on my parents blog. go to www.garysharon.blogspot.com to check it out

Gigi said...

Sarah, just so you know, I think you're an amazing mom. And wife from the comments of others. Friend is right up there too.

Take care.

Lynners said...

You are a sweetheart. Thanks for putting into words what we obviously all feel. These are the moments when I call my mom and tell her how much I appreciate her. Somehow it makes me feel better to know someone is appreciated. And I agree, pregnancy makes it all 10 times harder. Hang in there. Please know that you are loved and valued. You were such a support to me during some tough moments in my life. I don't doubt that everyone around you is better for your influence, especially your children and husband.