
So, as I reported before, Amanda and I worked on canning some apple butter last weekend. This week, to finish up the TONS of apples we had, we worked on applesauce! Monday we canned about 14 jars of applesauce. Then today we got about 10 more. Now, the thing about applesauce, that I never really noticed before, and kind of took for granted, is how many stinkin' apples it takes to make just 1 jar of applesauce!! Once the apples are cored, peeled, and sliced, the cooked down to mush, then blended to get the chunks out, they take up a lot less space than a normal apple. So for every, oh I don't know, 500 apples we did, it made about a jar of applesauce. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but still, it was a LOT of apples. I have to say though, even though my kids were left to entertain themselves, and my house was neglected (even though we did the canning at Amanda's, by the time I got home I was too tired to do any form of house work), I still feel like I was somewhat productive this week!
As a result of all this apple madness though, I was really wanting some biscuits with apple butter on them for dinner last night. So, our dinner consisted of scrambled eggs, homemade biscuits, home made applesauce, homemade apple butter, and homemade freezer jam. I told Steven we need to start raising chickens, then when we have that meal, it will be completely home grown and home made. Then we both thought about that and realized we really didn't want to raise chickens. We'd leave that up to Amanda.
On a totally unrelated note I had YW tonight. Steven didn't get home until 7:10 (YW starts at 7:00). So we only saw each other in passing. I had a presidency meeting afterwards so by the time I got home he was asleep. I hate days like that. Seriously, if my husband is going to be working at a job where he's gone a lot, then we should be compensated, and the only obvious compensation would be money, and LOTS of it! And I mean LOTS, like 'we had LOTS of apples' lots. But until we live in that perfect world, I guess I'll just have to be thankful that my husband can and will work to support our family. He really is my hero.


1 comment:
I really love Steven too. Did you tell him that biscuits, eggs, apples, etc is the Hannah dinner?
Post a Comment