Monday, October 27, 2008

Our weekend (I'll try to keep this brief, but no promises!)

This weekend was both fun and disappointing! I'll start on Wednesday (I know, not technically the weekend)
WEDNESDAY:
Steven and I are planning on leaving for Nauvoo Thursday evening. As I'm going to bed Wednesday night, I start to seriously panic and fret about the trip. Why? I'm not sure. We were leaving our kids with Amanda and Casey, and I kept thinking about a conversation I had with our bishops wife a couple weeks ago. She told me that if we don't have a Will, then if something were to happen to me and Steven, then the kids would go into foster care until someone in our family could fight and win custody. So, there I am Wednesday night, a worry ridden mess, thinking of my kids in foster care if I die. So, I was up until probably 2:00am or later thinking about this and worrying. I kept praying about it, and couldn't feel right about it. So, I woke up when Steven was getting ready for work and I asked him to pray about it and call me during the day to tell me what he thought.

THURSDAY:
I watched Amanda's kids in the morning and worked on getting my kids room cleaned (it was a HORRIBLE disaster! They had pulled all the clothes out of Landon's dresser and all the blankets out of the top of their closet, plus taken all the blankets off their beds, etc). I got their room done, was working and getting the laundry done up and getting us packed for Nauvoo. Amanda got done helping with Porter's school party (which is why I was watching the other two) and we got the kids lunch and I took a break from cleaning to talk to her. Steven called and I was still feeling really uneasy about leaving for Nauvoo, so we decided to just stay home this weekend (I was REALLY disappointed because my very best friend, Katy, was in Nauvoo visiting, and I knew if we didn't go I wouldn't be able to see her for a long time, since she now lives in Arizona!) But as soon as we made that decision, I felt a TON better. So, Amanda and I were sitting there talking when Amanda smelled fingernail polish (never a good sign, since neither of us were painting our nails!) We go up stairs and this is what we found.


I didn't get any pictures of Maya, but all the kids had decided they needed to be clowns, so they painted their noses red with nail polish! Yeah, that was fun to clean off! Plus Maya and Addie got their toes (or entire feet!) painted. Luckily there wasn't much polish anywhere else. A tiny bit on the carpet and a little bit on the my sheets on my bed. So, it could have been a lot worse!

When Steven got home from work he mentioned that he was thinking about going to my parents since we weren't going to Nauvoo, that way we could go to the temple. I said I was fine with that, so we talked about it and ended up leaving for their house on Friday morning.

FRIDAY:
We headed down to my parents and mom, Amanda and I went to see 'Secret Life of Bees' while Hannah and 3 of her friends went to see 'High School Musical 3'. The Secret Life of Bees was sadder than I remember the book being. We took it easy the rest of the day. That evening Steven and I, and Amanda and Casey, went to the temple while Hannah watched the kids.

SATURDAY:
We did some shopping in the morning, then we shot off rockets in the afternoon. Last year our family copied Casey's family tradition of shooting off rockets at Thanksgiving. Amanda and Casey will be out west visiting this Thanksgiving, so we shot off rockets this weekend while we were all together. Landon and Porter LOVED it! Addie and Maya weren't too thrilled with it!






Saturday dad had a meeting with some General Authorities from Salt Lake because they were getting a new stake presidency in their Stake. Saturday evening we found out that dad would be the new Stake president. Mom was in charge of a meal for all of the adults going to their adult session of conference so we helped with that.

SUNDAY:
We stayed for their stake conference and were able to be there when dad was set apart as stake president. My poor parents. I think they're both really overwhelmed and not sure what to think about this. Hopefully they'll adjust in a couple weeks! We headed home around 3:30 so I could be home in time for a Youth Fireside we had last night. We got home around 6:30, and I left for the fireside about 15 minutes later. Overall, it was a pretty good weekend. Everything worked out, even though it wasn't how we had originally planned. (sorry that was a lot longer than I planned!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your dad. He will be great at it. We just love him. I think even though you didn't get to go to Nauvoo, it's okay, because you followed the promptings of the Spirit. You are such a great example to me. See you in two days.

Zarsky Family said...

I love the nail polish!

Searls Stuff said...

Sarah, I love reading your blog. It keeps me laughing. Best wishes to your dad.
Aunt Gwen

Leah said...

I was thinking the same thing as Melissa-he will be so great! And I have a basic will that I can forward to you that you fill out and get notarized to make it legal. You might want something more extensive but for now Chris and I figured everything we have (what little there is) should go to taking care of the kids and setting out who the guardians of our kids would be. Let me know if your interested and sorry this comment is so long!

Lace and Joe said...

Don't you love listening to the spirit. If you hadn't you wouldn't have been able to be with your dad on that special day. He will be a great stake pres I have no doubt and will you please let him know that I know that????

Lynners said...

Holy crap! Your poor parents! That's fantastic though. May the lord bless them throughout this! I remember when an out-going stake president's wife was asked what she could say about the experience. She replied, "Nine years ago the phone started ringing, and it hasn't stopped since!"