Monday, October 20, 2008

My dad is great!!


Dad is great!
He feeds us chocolate cake...

Remember that Bill Cosby skit (and I think it was on his show too) where he sings that little song while he's feeding his kids chocolate cake for breakfast because his wife is sick? Well, that is sort of relevant in two ways. 1- my dad is a dad (who likes chocolate cake) and 2- my dad really does remind me of Bill Cosby in some ways. Anyway, today is my dad's birthday! He's a whopping 50 years old!! I can't believe he's that old (j/k dad, well, kind of). My dad really is great! I've always been very fond of my dad, even when I was little. Rumor has it that when I was little I would wake up every morning when my dad would get ready for PT (physical training (a very early exercise program for Army guys)) and I would sit in the bathroom and watch my dad shave and get ready for work. Then we'd have breakfast, he'd put on 'Sound of Music' for me to watch, until the rest of the family would get up, then he'd head off to work.
I remember going on Daddy/Daughter dates with my dad. I always loved those and really looked forward to them. My dad was always the one to go to when we wanted to get something or do something. We'd ask him, then he'd say 'Well, let me talk to your mom and we'll see what we can work out'.
When I was in college, my dad would call every Saturday morning at 7:00 in the morning. My roommates weren't too excited about that, and neither was I to be honest. I worked an early morning job working at 4:00 in the morning, so when I was just getting back to sleep, my dad would call. It was always great to talk to him though. He also used to call me every time he would hear the Barenaked Ladies song 'Pinch Me' because he knew I loved that song.
In high school a lot of my friends (well, mostly just guy friends) were scared of my dad. He was in the Army for 20 years, and has always looked very intimidating. He is however, very kind hearted and quite a softy. Like my first year at college and my mom flew me and my sister home for Thanksgiving to surprise my dad. When he saw us he just started crying. His family has always been very important to him.
My dad is also one of the most service oriented people I know! I remember in high school when we'd be shoveling snow, or raking leaves, and we were NEVER done until we'd completed our elderly neighbors snow or leaves too. He always wanted a truck, for the main reason that he can help people move if he has a truck.
Anyway, I could go on and on about how great my dad is, but then this post would be about 10 miles long. I love you dad and couldn't ask for a better dad or grampy for my kids!!!

3 comments:

Jana said...

Strangest thing, I was flipping through some blogs and I ran into yours. My name is Jana and I was friends with Steve in high school. I recognized Steve through your wedding picture.
Anyway, you two have the cutest kids ever. It is fun to see what your old high school friends are up too. Anyway, cute family and cute blog. Oh...my brother in law just called (Jared Norton) and he says hi too!

Gigi said...

Dads really are the best thing in a little girls world, aren't they? You're lucky to have such a good one.

joanna said...

Hey - I know your dad and he is pretty darn cool!
People I used to work with knew him, and some people from my old hometown new him too. I am so connected to your family!