Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm turning into a Mormon Wife!!

Okay, so I went to our recipe group enrichment last night and we learned about pressure cookers/canners. Ever since then, I really, really, really want one of these...


There were demos last night on how you can 'can' your own meat! Chicken, beef, pork, even fish! (not that we eat fish in our house). It has a long shelf life and you don't have to keep it refrigerated or anything (I know, the idea of unrefrigerated meat grosses me out too if I think about it for too long.) It's really VERY simple, and not too time consuming, and a great thing for food storage! So, I'm looking into getting one of these babies! The only problem I have is that I have a flat top stove, and you're not supposed to use it on a flat top stove. But Amanda doesn't have a flat top stove so I could just use hers, and then once they move (probably in December), I could use my pressure cooker/canner as a way to make friends. 'Hi, I'm Sarah Harward. Would you like to learn how to can chicken? Can I come over and use your stove and we could be friends?' Yeah, that doesn't sound pathetic at all!! Anyway, if anyone sees any amazing deals on one of these (at a garage sale, on e-bay, whatever) let me know!! Maybe I'll get one then give everyone on my Christmas list canned chicken for Christmas. Then again, maybe not...

5 comments:

Gigi said...

I'm just getting into this whole canning thing too Sarah, and I don't have the tools to do it all yet. So I'll be your friend and let you use my stove if you'll be my friend and let me use your cooker!

Zarsky Family said...

I actually think that sounds pretty good! You would have to move closer to me, but my stove is available! :)

Katy Wilson said...

i will be your friend if you teach me how to can chicken...but i have a flat top stove too...

Anonymous said...

I think it is so fuuny how you keep changing your background. I love it though. You're too funny

tacy said...

I love the idea of canning stuff. I just learned how to make freezer jam, i always thought it was hard and took some great skill but I guess not.