Saturday, January 31, 2009

Listen to what I mean, not what I say...

My kids are very different when it comes to listening skills. Addie listens to the words I say. If I slip and use the wrong word, she catches it, and finds it funny. Like if I accidentally tell her to throw her diaper in the laundry room instead of the trash. Or if I slip and tell her to throw her dirty clothes in the trash instead of the laundry room. She'll giggle then correct me.

Landon on the other hand, tries to predict what I'm going to say, then he'll react appropriately. If I slipped and told him to throw his clothes in the trash, he wouldn't even notice, he'd pick up his clothes and run into the laundry room (actually, he'd run upstairs to throw his clothes down the laundry chute). A good example of him not listening to my words happened yesterday. He woke up at 6:00, and I was not ready to get up and get him some breakfast (by the way, I've been leaving a bowl of cereal on the table every night and pouring some milk in a cup and leaving it in the fridge, so when he wakes up he can fix his own cereal, yes, it's the ultimate lazy mom tactic, but I'm sleep deprived, so don't judge; but I forgot to leave his cereal out yesterday morning) so I told Landon to go get a granola bar, and he could eat that to tie him over till breakfast. He was sitting at the top of the stairs trying to open his granola bar when I had this conversation with him:

Me: Landon...
Landon: What?
Me: Landon, would you like me to help you open your granola bar?
Landon: I love you too....(crackle crinkle crinkle as he continues to try to open his granola bar)

Steven and I were cracking up! Silly kid! I guess he heard what I meant (well, one meaning at least) and not exactly what I said.

4 comments:

joanna said...

That's actually a great idea leaving breakfast out for Landon. You gotta get creative when you need sleep and you're trying to adjust! Plus it helps him learn to be more independent.

tacy said...

cute! and no judging on the leaving the cereal out part, that is a good idea! ummm... and my little word I have to type for "word verification" is tater. That is kinda funny. No?

Lake said...

Hey, I like that idea. I should start doing that with my girls.

Candace said...

Super funny.