Saturday, August 9, 2008

I've created some WEIRD-O's!!!

Don't tell Landon that I said that he and Addie are weird-o's because he called Addie a 'weird-o' the other day and I told him it wasn't a very nice word, so every time someone says it now, he makes sure to mention that it's not a nice word and we shouldn't say that! Anyway... we decided very last minute to go to my parents house this weekend. We woke up yesterday morning and decided to head down there, so an hour later we were in the car on our way. The kids were SUPER excited. It was a short trip, but that's one great benefit to living 3 hours away. Short trips are possible. Anyway, as soon as we got home this evening Landon and Addie both went straight to the band-aid closet and got band-aids out. Landon put on on his foot and leg, but then they both ended up looking like this...

Yeah, band-aids on their foreheads. Why? Who knows. Because they are weird-o's! Gotta love them though...
Tonight we were doing our scripture reading and we were reading the story of Ammon. And when I told about Ammon cutting of the robber's arms, Landon looked at me and said 'COOL!' I swear, it's just ingrained in boys to love that sort of thing! Addie just kept saying 'sheep...water' Yes, Addie, Ammon was letting the sheep drink some water... Never a dull moment around here...
I spent the car ride home reading this...
I've got to say, I'm still not in love with these books like most people are. I really don't like that the target audience is teenage girls. Mainly because the main character (who is a girl) is a bad example/role model for teens (in my opinion). I'm not crazy about the fact that she's always trying to throw herself at her boyfriend (wait till book 3 for that) and is so opposed to getting married. What? Is it just me, or is that screwed up? Especially seeing as how the author is LDS. I know, I know, the books isn't an LDS book. The character's aren't LDS, but still, you'd think the author would make our values (of staying chaste before marriage, and being a pro-marriage people, like we are) instead of taking the worlds side and being like 'We don't need to be married to show our commitment to each other...' Anyway, that bugs me. Not only that, but there are two main guys in these books that the girl has to choose between. One of them, I feel like she has a 'real' relationship with. They are friends. They know each other's flaws. They sometimes get annoyed with each other, but love each other. The other guy/relationship is one that is based solely on lust (in my opinion) she doesn't know much about him, just that she can't hardly control herself when she's with him because he's so irresistible. Once again, this mainly bugs me because the audience is teens. I'm liking this fourth book better, but still feel like the subject matter isn't quite what I would want my teens reading. Anyway, that's just my two (or three, or four) cents worth. Okay, I'm off to read more (like how I rant about it but then still want to finish reading it? This is mainly because I feel like I need to make sure my opinion is just, and the only way to do that is to completely read the books)

7 comments:

Anna said...

I'm glad you were brave enough to write your review on the Twilight series. I only read most of the first book...just didn't get into it as much as everyone else seemed to.

Anyway, I wanted to reply to you earlier and let you know I got my blog background from Leelou blogs. She has several new ones right now and you don't lose anything on your blog when you select one of them.

Also, I looked up that James Taylor song (p.s. I LOVE James Taylor) and I wanted to thank you for telling me about it. So cute. I'm going to put it on my blog soon.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the book being written by and LDS person but her values don't show through in the books. By the way "breaking Dawn" is the 4th not 3rd book. I am in the middle of the book right now too. I had a hard time with the first 120 pages being about their wedding and honeymoon. I like the books but I agree with you in the fact that I owuldn't want my 12 year old reading this (and belive me, many of my 6th graders were reading these books last year). I like them for an adult easy read book though.

Zarsky Family said...

I love the bandaids on the head! Those two are so cute.

Kathy said...

Didn't you mean BAMBAIDS? Yeah, that's what they are in your house anyway.

Wait until you get further into the book, it is all tieing together nicely, makes sense, if you can say that about a NOVEL!! Who would read a book based totally on LDS values, people now days would think that is even more odd than a book about Vampires!!

I love you
Thanks for coming. I love your little ones.

Katy Wilson said...

i agree...i mean i like the books more than you do for sure...but i agree that it is frustrating that it's geared towards teens...

Kathy said...

Did Addie wear her dress I made to church? Can you post a photo?

Love ya

Lynners said...

I totally agree!!! I was so disgusted when Bella said that the highlight of her human days were the ones spent in bed with Edward! What the heck is that?! I agree with what you said about her relationships with Jacob and Edward too. I would have chosen Jacob over Edward in a heartbeat! That's the relationship I'd want to hang on to. Oh well, at least everyone was happy in the end. Too bad it ended with sex too. I guess that's all they have.