Monday, January 28, 2008

Down with DirecTV

I was walking on the treadmill today, talking to my mom and dad, and my dad asked me what the latest was with the war I'm waging against DirecTV. I was telling him the latest injustices that have been thrown my way, thanks to this devil company, and he said 'You need to post all of this on your family blog, just to get the word out that they're not the people to go with.' So, here I am. Don't worry, I'm not planning on boring you all with every single thing that happened, but just giving you general overview of all the ways they're trying to screw me over!!

First of all, we signed up with them in June, after I talked to a representative who told me that we would be able to get local channels. Once they started our service, I was surprised to find that I wasn't getting my local channels (I wasn't getting CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and FOX). I called and they told me that if I filled out a waiver then I could get those channels based out of NY and LA. I filled out the waivers, waited the allotted amount of time, and called back. Low and behold, they had no record that I filled out the waivers. So, I had to submit the waivers once again. Finally, I heard back from them, and CBS and NBC had declined my waiver. I contacted CBS and NBC and NBC informed me that they had given DirecTV permission to broadcast the local station out of Indy, but DirecTV wouldn't comply. Anyway, after fighting with them about these things for about 3 or 4 months I finally canceled. When I called to cancel I gave the agent an earful of all the crap I had been dealt. I told her that I wanted to cancel and that I refused to pay any 'early disconnect fees' since they breached the contract first of all, by not providing the things they promised me they would. After talking to the lady for a while, she told me that she had made a note in my account and that there would be no fees. SO, I mailed all their crap back to them, and then got a bill saying I owed them over $300!! I promptly called, and they told me that there was no note in my account that they were waiving my disconnect fees. I had to write a letter and send it off to Colorado. They told me that they had 7-10 business days to replay. Well, a month later I called to check up, and the guy told me that they actually have 30 business days, which would have been the end of that next week. Well, on Tuesday of that next week, I received a call from a collections agency saying that DirecTV had turned me over to them. I was SO mad! I called DirecTV back, and they said that there was no record in my account (notice a reoccurring theme here?) that I had written a letter. So, I had to resend the letter.
I think it's awfully convenient that they don't keep record of anything that their employees tell people, so there's no way of getting caught not doing what they said they would. Anyway, I have since resent the letter, via certified mail, that way I know exactly when they get it. If I haven't heard back within 10 days, you can guarantee I'll be throwing a BIG stink!!

Anyway, not that any of you care about any of this, but I feel like I have to do my part to spread the word of the injustices this company is doing to innocent (and may I add, nice) people like me!!

3 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

we had the same sort of problems with our tv. we can't get abc, but our next door neighbors who has the exact same setup as we do can...i don't get it.
my mom doesn't have a blog, but jake does, i put it on my page. i'm very excited about this. now i definatly need to come out there so you can show me all the neat things to do on it!

Zarsky Family said...

Wow! I didn't know that was still going on. I remember you told me back when you cancelled it. Good luck--it looks like they have a fight on their hands! :)

Anna said...

Oh...You don't know how happy i am to hear this. We have comcast cable and they have been a NIGHTMARE with their billing SO MANY TIMES. I really should not even get started...but same sort of deal. Employees lie, keep no records, OVER-BILL, etc. The thing is we are moving in a few months and we decided to go with direct tv. Not anymore. Where we live right now we can only get comcast (our landlord won't allow any sattelite) and the company SO takes advantage of it. Oh man...that stinks.