Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ringing in the New Year

I know everyone makes New Years resolutions this time of year, and I am planning on making a few. However, while I was at my parents house, we all opened up our resolutions from last year. It was funny and depressing to see that we not only didn't meet our goals, but we had already mentioned that those were going to be our goals we set for ourselves this year! So, looking back on last year, and realizing that I GAINED the 15 pounds I resolved to loose last year, and that I didn't even come close to getting my Realtor's license (I don't know WHY I made that a resolution last year!) So, instead of just focusing on what I didn't do last year, and what I'm going to promise to do (and end up not doing) this year, I'm trying to think of some things I have learned over the past year.

Here's just a few, and I'm SURE there's more...

1~ Husbands are smarter than we give them credit for.
We've been married for about 5 years (5 years next month) and I'm pretty amazed that not only do I love Steven more, but I even like him more than I did 5 years ago! Who would have thought that would have been possible? He's honestly my best friend, and I can't even imagine my life without him, and his humor and wisdom! He is the absolute best father and husband, anyone could ever ask for.

2~ Kids are more work than we give them credit for.
For any of you who have read my previous blog about all the messes we've had in my house, you'll know that this is a lesson I learned this year. I never had ANY clue that being a parent could be SO tiring!! However, it is the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I adore my kids and feel SO blessed to have them in my life. There isn't a single thing I'd rather do with my life than stay at home and raise them.


3~ Exercise really does make you feel better about yourself.
My wonderful mom bought me a treadmill last year, and I'm constantly amazed at how much better I feel about myself after I've forced myself to get on there and run. I'm also amazed at how much I still HATE it! It's worth it though!

4~ Nap time and quite time don't equal productive time.
While Addie is napping and Landon is having quite time, I usually have a constant stream of thoughts in my head of all the things I should be doing while the kids are taking a break. Well, I've realized that I don't have to do all of those things during that time, and that I shouldn't feel guilty about it! I've come up with a system where I try to get the most of dinner made during nap time, and then I spend the rest of the time doing what ever the heck I feel like doing!! Sometimes that's folding laundry (VERY RARE) and other times it's reading a book, killing time on the Internet, cuddling with Landon while he watched a movie, or talking on the phone with my mom and sister. No matter what, Nap time is guilt free time!!


5~ Some things just aren't worth the battle.
I've learned, and am still learning, that some things just aren't worth the fight. If Landon wants to wear pajamas all day, is it that big of a deal? Not really, since I'm usually in my pajamas most of the day. If Addie likes to pull all the wipes out of the container, is it worth the fight to keep her from doing it? Or is it just better to let her have her fun, then pick them up once she's done? I've also learned that what isn't worth the fight for me, is worth the fight for other people, but neither is right or wrong.

6~ The Lord really does make the weak things strong.
I've had the opportunity this year to be humbled quite a few times. Being a mother of a 3 year old is a new experience for me. I have learned VERY fast in my career as a mother that I have NO CLUE what I'm doing. I've sought advice from just about every parent I know, however it is only when I remember to go to my Father in Heaven, that I'm able to receive the help I need.


7~ Distance does make the heart grow fonder
My sister Amanda moved to Pennsylvania this past summer and that was both harder, and easier, than I thought it would be. It took about 4 months for Landon to quit asking to go to their house every time we got into the car. Luckily I've been able to visit Amanda in Philadelphia once and then we saw her at Christmas. This next half of a year while they're gone might be harder, because I'm not sure when I'll see her next. The lesson I learned through this experience is that I need to appreciate what I have when I have it. Luckily I change my phone plan to have free long distance, so I can talk to Amanda a lot! But it's just not the same as hanging out with her all the time! Especially now that she has new baby Bennett who is SO adorable and loves and misses his Aunt Sarah!! (The picture is Landon with Porter and Maya)


8~ Enjoying the little things makes life more fun!
We got a mini-van in 2007 (as well as cable TV. We're movin' up in the world!), and it got me thinking. When we first got married we had my parents old van. It was a piece of crap!! Only 1 door worked properly, it would overheat ALL the time in the summer, one of the back windows was duct-taped in, and the paint was chipping HORRIBLY!! When we bought our next car it was a little Geo Metro. It was so tiny, didn't have air conditioning or cup holders or ANYTHING. Out next car was a Toyota Tercel, which did have air conditioning. When we got that car I thought it was SO nice!! Then we graduated up to our Mercury Sable. I remember being SO excited that we had cup holders in that car! Our previous cars didn't. Now that I have the van, I get SO excited that I can unlock the car from 10 feet away! I LOVE that the interior light works (can't say the same thing about the Sable). I have learned that finding joy in these little things, really does remind me of all I have to be thankful for. And not just in the automotive department!

9~ Love grows when you serve
I have been teaching the Laurels at church for about a year now. When I got called into that calling I was SO devastated! I had been serving in the Primary Presidency, and I LOVE that! I was so nervous and worried about teaching 16-18 year old girls. Now, after doing it for a year, I LOVE IT!! I am amazed every Sunday, at how much I love and worry and care about these girls!! Even though I don't love teaching, and even though I don't feel like it's one of my strong points, I look forward to teaching them every week. I've learned more than I could write down here from these girls.

10~Practice doesn't ALWAYS make prefect, but it does bring improvement
At the beginning of this past summer, we got a piano. My brother James found it in the paper and they were giving it away for free! So, we got it and I have been playing it ever since! I love it! I brag on myself all the time to Steven, about how good I'm getting. I get very excited when I start to learn a new song, and then the first time I play though it without making a mistake makes me SO happy!! Even though I'll never be a concert pianist, I'll get better as I keep practicing!!

Okay, I'm sure there's more but Addie is now awake from her nap, and Landon is done with quite time, so my guilt-free time is over. Sorry this ended up being so long. I tend to get windy, even when typing!!

No comments: